Vespa GTS front wheel balancing ?

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
bizzly
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I've had a new front tyre fitted on the Vespa GTS 300 and if I take a hand off the handle bars to adjust my visor, it wobbles like crazy. The place that fitted the tyre don't do wheel balancing :evil: and said try a car garage...tried everywhere and nobody does it. It still has the original weights on from new and this is the first replacement tyre I've had on the front. Had no problems before. I'm in Scunthorpe. Tried MB and Beedspeed but they don't do it either...any suggestions please.
lambro

bizzly wrote:I've had a new front tyre fitted on the Vespa GTS 300 and if I take a hand off the handle bars to adjust my visor, it wobbles like crazy. The place that fitted the tyre don't do wheel balancing :evil: and said try a car garage...tried everywhere and nobody does it. It still has the original weights on from new and this is the first replacement tyre I've had on the front. Had no problems before. I'm in Scunthorpe. Tried MB and Beedspeed but they don't do it either...any suggestions please.

I do it, but being nr Bristol that wont help you much.
It will need to be a bike shop, the spindles on the machines are that much smaller.

You could try whipping the old weights off as they will be making it worse as they bear no relevance to the balancing on the new tyre.

Shaun.
bizzly

Thanks Shaun..... I did think of that but thought it better to get advice first. No bike shops near me do it unfortunately :(
lambro

No worries,
To be fair, most GTS don't suffer from wheel balancing,
It is worth checking the tyre is seated on the bead correctly.

I had horrendous wobble on my first GTS, turned out the Piaggio top box and heavy bar ends were the culprits.
But my mates identical one, with box etc was perfect :|
bizzly

Hmmmmm....Checked tyre and seated correctly. But...I do have a Piaggio top box and the large bar ends...been ok for the last 5/6 years though
Spanish Fly
Main scooter: P200e

Might be worth spinning the wheel, a few times, and see if it stops in the same place.
With any luck it will and with the current weights at the bottom.

SF
coaster

The GTS is prone to wheel wobble a low speed and is worse with the top box especially if you have heavy stuff in it. The extra heavy bar weights come with the top box and are supposed to eliminate the wobble. My 250i GTS has the same problem but I bought my topbox 2nd hand and it didn't come with the bar weights so it wobbles quite a bit. However, I have noticed that is a LOT worse when the rear tire pressure is lower than normal.
Re the ballancing, I had my tires changed by a motorcycle garage in Harlow and the guy took them across the road to Halfords to get them ballanced as he didn't have a machine. Might be worth asking in your local branch.
bizzly

Thanks Coaster...will give them a try
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information