Vespa exhaust bolt seized and snapped

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Jay71
Main scooter: SIL GP200

I'm doing a bit of work on a T5 and whilst trying to get the old exhaust off, the swing arm bolt head sheared clean off,
this is because the bolt is seized solid through the casing arm.
Engine is out of frame, have tried heat, have tried loads of WD40, have tried a punch and big lump hammer!
How do I get the bugger out? Will it need drilled?
Snapper
Main scooter: Vespa T5 Classic

Similar thing happened with my T5 mate...bolt was seized solid and tried everything to get it to move.

Quick fix, while the engine was still in the scoot, was to just partially drill the bolt and then put a tap in it to enable me to secure my exhaust (worked great).

As soon as I had the engine out at a later date though I drilled the f*cker out as it was p*ssing me off knowing it was still in there :lol:

I just worked up in bit size until the seized bolt collapsed. Took about 20 mins.

Don't forget to lube the new exhaust bolt when you replace it to prevent it seizing again ;)
Jay71

Cheers, it's not my scooter, if it was it would be well lubed!
Scary thing is, the last ones to work on the engine were main dealers!
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

as you have a bit of thread have you tried two nuts trick and a bit of heat. sometimes its best to add heat, let it cool down and more heat, cool down and so on. make sure its cooled down properly.
Jay71

I'll give that a go before turning to the drill, thanks.
Shipleystevep
Main scooter: Lambretta

Try getting it warm and a good dollop of PlusGas on it.
Jay71

Haven't heard of that before, must get some.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

Good stuff Plusgas- used the same tin for the last 10 years or so. Freed up everything it was thrown at when all other stuff failed.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Yanker

Is the case sripped down?

Another option: Immerse the swing arm in a vat of diesel for a few days (eg. oblong plant pot). Clean off diesel thoroughly and GLscoot method it as above. Only weld a nut (thoroughly penetrated - decent heat - maybe countersink the nut to get more area ) Give it a few sharp blows with a heavy hammer to get it moving. Cut off the remainder of the hex head that may not be totally round, and drift out with same hammer and a suitably dimensioned and hardened punch. And good luck with that.

I cannot vouch for the method, had to drill one out of a T5 once also - suggested method would be much less work :!: and what I would do in the same circumstance 'this/next' time arround.

Cheers
ducksta

take it to your local engineers they will press it out last one cost me a tenner worth it
live life your a long time dead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information