old li150 short barrel

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
elb1
Main scooter: eibar s2 li150

Hi, I've just picked up an old li150 barrel and head.(with cast hump in the inlet. Three fins below exhaust port type).
I was thinking of using it to practice and learn a bit more on tuning. Is there any draw backs on these short barrels apart from bit less cooling. Also what's the max it can be bored.
Cheers
Ian Hepworth

The ports are tiny so need a lot of work.
You can do an easy 190 with a TS185 piston but the piston skirt may need shortening.
elb1

Thanks ian. Think I'll give it go After a bit more research
kevspeed

Used one many moons ago with a Kawasaki KH 400 piston,and if memory serves,the only real modification was taking 1mm off the top of the barrel!
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

elb1 wrote:Hi, I've just picked up an old li150 barrel and head.(with cast hump in the inlet. Three fins below exhaust port type).
I was thinking of using it to practice and learn a bit more on tuning. Is there any draw backs on these short barrels apart from bit less cooling. Also what's the max it can be bored.
Cheers

You'll find the cast iron in those jugs is a lot harder than the newer cylinders (old US tank steel I think). Plus like Ian said, the ports are tiny. This means a lot of grinding just to get to normal port sizes. If it's a true 150 jug then you should be able to bore out to 64mm. Best to measure everything before sourcing parts.

For playing around I'd just get a cheap Indian 150 jug and learn off that.
elb1

Cheer lads, I'll keep it as a spare standard replacement if its hardly worth the effort. I didnt realize it was the old barrel when I hit the buy button. I'm starting get a pile of stuff that will never get used :lol:
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

elb1 wrote:Cheer lads, I'll keep it as a spare standard replacement if its hardly worth the effort. I didnt realize it was the old barrel when I hit the buy button. I'm starting get a pile of stuff that will never get used :lol:

Need some more? I think I have the 125 version of that cylinder.
elb1

Grumpy225 wrote:
elb1 wrote:Cheer lads, I'll keep it as a spare standard replacement if its hardly worth the effort. I didnt realize it was the old barrel when I hit the buy button. I'm starting get a pile of stuff that will never get used :lol:

Need some more? I think I have the 125 version of that cylinder.
I think the postage will cost more than my scooters worth grumpy :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information