1970 GP150 turquoise or orbit orange?

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
Chris Tindal
Main scooter: GP150

Hi

I'm about to start an anork resto of an original British reg GP 150. I have a copy of the original log book and know it was originally turquoise, which was an unusual colour for 150's. Thing is I'm not that keen on the GP turquoise and prefer something a little different like orbit orange. I'm a bit torn between getting it totally original as it was in August 1970 and a colour I'd prefer. I know its mine and can spray it any colour but I want to get it right and not do a custom job. Orbit orange is pretty unusual and I like it, and it was a 150 colour, any opinions welcome.

Also does anyone know the bike? its reg number is ATX37J and was first registered in South Wales. After a few owners it moved to the Midlands and now up to Yorkshire. Any info on its history or photo's would be great.

Cheers

Chris
Manos

I prefer the turquoise mate!
Norrie Bodge
Main scooter: GP-1971-Ts230/S2-1960-Ts230

+1
id go Turquoise too
Mines a 71 GP150 & was pink with black spots when I bought it off a mate back in 97
As I stripped it down found out from toolbox/tank removal the original turquoise colour, i then add to get it painted as nearest original colour I could ;-)
Trojan
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA INNOCENTI

As you said earlier, you wanted to do an anorak restoration, the original colour was turquoise, So just spray it pink :lol: , seriously chris just do the turquoise, there seem to be quite a few Orange GP s about ....... 8-)
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

There's 100's of "anorak" resto's out there, go with your gut and paint it orange. Once painted, you'll have to live with the colour. It's not like a seat, that you can change in 10 minutes. It's your bike, do what makes you happy.
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

Back when the GP's first came out I was never a fan of turquoise, it was always the Ochre orange that I wanted, but could never afford a GP. Second choice was the Orbit Orange. Now in my second scootering life, a mate of mine has an Italian Orbit Orange GP150 and it looks smart.

Over this last few years I've done a few restorations and fought with my conscience, like you are, but in the end, I've sprayed them the colours that I wanted and to this date, I'm still happy with them.

So my vote is for Orbit Orange and enjoy yourself.

Coincidently, in our neck of the woods, turquoise is everywhere, and not many Orbit orange.
Chris Tindal

Thanks for all the input, it really does make a difference :) It's really got into my head this, everywhere I drive I notice colours that resemble the GP/Vega range, orange VW Beetles, ochre Fiats, turquoise trucks, white vans, red post office vans, even traffic cones and JCB's, think I'm going nuts! Anyway, because I 'know' it was originally turquoise and it's an original resto that's the colour I'll do it. Hope to get some pictures posted once I get started.

Cheers
TurboTrev

I'm also about to do an anorak British GP150 resto and mine is also turquoise from new and like you I also have the original green logbook. I'm keeping it that colour even though I'm not overly keen on it, as my ocd won't let me change the colour and I know I would regret it if I did. :ugeek: :lol: As you have the original logbook and as you are doing an anorak resto, my vote would have to be turquoise. 8-)
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

How about the two tone white / blue or white / red ?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Chris Tindal

Not as keen on the red or two tone ones, my favourite is ochre but I've never seen a 150 in that colour. Trev what a coincidence, for the same reasons as you I've decided mine will be its original turquoise. Thanks for the input, it's helped clarify it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information