Hydraulic Brake Disc conversion

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Blenks
Main scooter: Lambretta S3 Li150

I have a Li150 with drum brakes and am thinking of replacing with a hydraulic disc setup. Any recommendations of what to go for? I would really like to keep the original look if possible (SX / TV disc setup). Also seen a few of the pepperpot type but not seen any fitted. Are these any good.
I would very much like to go for the Scomadi forks aand brake assembly's being sold through PM Tuning but at a grand they are a bit out of my price range. May have a set of forks though.
Any advise would be appreciated.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

There's a thread elsewhere on here that suggests the Scomadi forks may not be just of a slip in option as you might imagine

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36413&hilit=scomadi+fork.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Blenks

Thanks for that rosscla. I'm glad I asked. I was seriously considering the fork assemblies from PM, based on the thread you sent I'll keep the ones I have. Any recommendation / advise about hydraulic disc brake options would be appreciated.
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

A lot depends on how much you want to spend.
I fitted a semi hydraulic system which keeps the headset looks with a scoot rs disk for drum links( that doesn't look standard ) it took some setting up but works really well.
With a bit of ingenuity you can make the whole thing look standard using disk links, an inboard disk with hydraulic slave cylinder, grey hydraulic hose.
But
You will have to up rate the suspension as the hydraulic dives like hell
If you are keeping it as an LI150, a well set up drum should be adequate.
rosscla

I think you can also get inboards for drum links, and there are outboards that have an inboard style disc hub half on the kerb side.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Blenks

It is an Li150 but has a 186 Mugello kit fitted. I have ridden motorcycles for over 25 years so do not consider the lammy quick by an stretch of the imagination, but having been spoilt by the fantastic stopping power of modern bikes the Lammy's feel like what they are, 50+ year old technology. To be honest I tend to use the back brake more on it as it has much better feel. The front is very hard and judders a lot. Maybe needs a bit of tinkering which I am not confident with. Any suggestions??? May save me £300 on a new disc set up.
rosscla

Put a brick under one of the stand legs and spin the front wheel, then apply the brake. If you get a clunk or you can see the backplate rotating either the pin that sits in the backplate is loose in the slot, the backplate is worn or the nuts at either end of the spindle aren't tight enough. This can cause juddering.

I'd also look for issues of roundness or scoring in the hub or high spots on the brake shoes, making sure that the correct shoes are fitted for the actuator. There's been a good series of articles in last months / this months Scootering on Lambretta brakes and how to check / set them up
Blenks

Thanks for the advice again. I'll give it a check over at the weekend. It may need to be sorted by someone with a bit more knowledge than me though. :!: :!:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information