Running a LED tail ligit on 6 volt DC points

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
scooterslag

I do love the fact that with the summer evenings and longer days I can kind of get by with my so-so 6 volt lighting on my SX, it isn't too bad but come the darker months I then struggle with seeing the road and have to scream it in 3rd gear just to see the where I'm going - especially on country B-roads with no cats eyes. Now I run a LED speedo bulb and want to run a LED tail light unit in the back but have heard that running such a unit on old school 6 volt DC can cause problems with the battery and the rectifier. Is this true? does anyone run such a set-up and if I have to fit a regulator then where and connected to what? . Oh converting to electronic isn't going to be a option ta muchey, like the simplicity and reliability of my points set-up which has served me well over the years. Paul
The mack daddy on the left!
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Slightly off question response but have you checked to see what the magnets in the flywheel are like? A decent 6V system with strong magnets is actually far better than most people think, simply because they've experienced an old 6V system with weak magnetism.

I've had various flywheels remagnetised over the years and they've normally shocked me as to how good the lights are afterwards :)

Adam

PS - I can't answer the question as I've never needed to go LED on a DC system, which only relies on battery for rear brake and horn. I have run LED on the easy 6 - 12V conversions but only in AC format. Soz
scooterslag

Hello Adam, thanks for the reply, yeah I was looking to get the flywheel sorted and 6 volt lights can be pretty good, just wanted to boast the lights more as my bikes a work horse and It does need a improvement for back lanes, rural roads etc, cheers again Paul
victor
Main scooter: Tv175 but currently a SS210 :)

Adam_Winstone wrote:Slightly off question response but have you checked to see what the magnets in the flywheel are like? A decent 6V system with strong magnets is actually far better than most people think, simply because they've experienced an old 6V system with weak magnetism.

I've had various flywheels remagnetised over the years and they've normally shocked me as to how good the lights are afterwards :)

Adam

PS - I can't answer the question as I've never needed to go LED on a DC system, which only relies on battery for rear brake and horn. I have run LED on the easy 6 - 12V conversions but only in AC format. Soz
Second that. Unless you change stator and flywheel there are only so many watts you can get out of the setup. Should you convert the current setup to 12V you'll half the amps = same wattage in the end of the day or with other words the same power and the same light.

My Vespa SS is amazing, fantastic light, bright and blinding, whereas my TV with a demagnetised flywheel has an orange glowing head light only.
scooterslag

victor wrote:
Adam_Winstone wrote:Slightly off question response but have you checked to see what the magnets in the flywheel are like? A decent 6V system with strong magnets is actually far better than most people think, simply because they've experienced an old 6V system with weak magnetism.

Adam

Second that. Unless you change stator and flywheel there are only so many watts you can get out of the setup. Should you convert the current setup to 12V you'll half the amps = same wattage in the end of the day or with other words the same power and the same light.

My Vespa SS is amazing, fantastic light, bright and blinding, whereas my TV with a demagnetised flywheel has an orange glowing head light only.
Yep going down the flywheel remagnetised route, think this should offer a suitable improvement :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information