polishing paintwork

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
oldbiker

F` me those are shiney scoots,

:shock: :shock:
rog60
Main scooter: Indian GP200

Have to agree with the electric polishing mop idea. I use a 12v car type one, bit down market I suppose but works for me.
NO IT'S NOT A F***IN* MOPED!!!!!!
Dick Dastardley

I can only say guys what "Mr Orange Peel" doesn't know about paintwork and paintwork correction isn't worth knowing.
He has done a lot of work on scooters north of the border before custom shows,
and is regarded as a genius and a top bloke.

He should be good he's never done polishing his trumpet !!! :lol:

Clownshoes !!!
red
Main scooter: Scomadi TL 250 (Ltd Ed No.3)

OranegePeel wrote:DUDE!!!!!! step away from the wet sanding... If it is only swirls you are wanting to get out i would invest in a machine polisher... Or contact a Detailer in your area.

I assume that you have had a respray and as such with probably have a "2" stage finish, colour and clear coat... Do you you know how thick your clear is??? You would be amazed at how quickly you can go through clear coat even with 2000 grit!

My recommendations/options would be

1. If you can afford it get a respected detailer round to carry out the correction.

2. If you have the balls and a bit of cash, invest in a dedicated machine polisher, some thing like a Kestral DAS6 or the Meguiars G200 (Random Orbital sander/polishers), and a selection of pads. If it's only swirl marks you want to remove and no random deeper scratches then probably a light cut, a polishing and a finishing pad should suffice. You will also need some polishes (not to be confused with waxes or sealants or glazes), these come in many strengths (cuts) and from many manufacturers. As you progress you will doubtlessly find an allegiance to one or two brands.

Before you even think about going for any of the above I would spent a few evenings reading up on techniques on the Detailing World forum, Just google Detailing World and you will find it. Be prepared to find a whole new world and approach to car/scooter care... I have been Detaining for 4/5 years and still learn tricks and tips on an almost daily basis...

If you are in the west of Scotland by all means give me a shout and i will help you out or even do it for you... I cant recomend enough that you get on to Detailing World before you take any more wet and dry to your scoot...

Any problemss give me a shout.

OP

Mine and my mates scoots at Kelso this year prepped, polished and waxed by myself...

How much would it cost to get a finish like that?
There's a green lammy behind Wrightie's in the photos that I wouldn't mind getting done.
I do not try to explain why I ride Lambrettas,
For those who understand, no explanation is necessary,
For those who don't, no explantion is possible.
johnny diamond

maybe im prizing the lid off a can of wriggly things here, :roll: but given the effort and time required
to prepare scoots for a top paint job,not forgetting the skill required to lay the paint and airbrush the
depths of the owners imagination onto the panels,and me being old skool anall !!
my question is........ :shock: ....should a wrapped scoot have a differant catagory at shows !!
as i say im old skool and always felt that wraps were the easy way to get results.
or am i just having another victor meldrew moment :? :lol:
red

I know that the Black Vespa with the blue shock is the original paint with lads of work on detailing and polishing.Just hard graft!!!
red

I agree with you regarding wrapped scooters,the imagination is there to an extent but as it's all computer generated there's not much graft involved,I'd rather see a painted scoot than a wrapped one. ;)
My opinion entirely

This scoot's paintwork looks like a wrap but is in fact all painted,another of Dave Dickinson's masterpieces.
It won Best Lambretta,Best Custom and Best ridden :D :D :D (it's only just been finished that's why the paint looks so good,it didn't come out of a van!!! :mrgreen: ) at Hull and District yesterday.

Another custom scoot from the lads at Scunthorpe Silhouettes Lambretta Club,well done
Arfur
Playstation gamer tag: hulkascooby

Dick Dastardley wrote:I can only say guys what "Mr Orange Peel" doesn't know about paintwork and paintwork correction isn't worth knowing.
He has done a lot of work on scooters north of the border before custom shows,
and is regarded as a genius and a top bloke.

He should be good he's never done polishing his trumpet !!! :lol:

Clownshoes !!!
I still don't like that seat mark ;) ;)
OranegePeel

red wrote:
How much would it cost to get a finish like that?
There's a green lammy behind Wrightie's in the photos that I wouldn't mind getting done.

Red, speak to Wrightie, But I'm sure I can sort something out next time you are up or we are down.

OP
Don't be frightened...
scotmod
Main scooter: Series 3 Li150

Christ, I was happy with the paintwork on my scoots 'til I saw those Vespas!...........now I think I'll go out to the garage and matt black the feckers. :cry:
But it's not just about the speed is it?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information