210 Malossi Worb 5 gearing

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Noplastic
Main scooter: Vespa PX221 disc

Hi all! Im building a PX200 engine, here are my engine specs:

Malossi 210 Worb5,
ported crankscase,
57mm flowed crank,
JL righthand,
Keihin pwk 35,
Tassinari vforce4 reed block.
Malossi head

with the standard base gasket and no head gaskets:
Exhaust 175* (enlarged 2.5mm per side) Transfer 120*, Squish 0.8mm

im waiting to close the engine because i'm not sure about the right gearing. which gearing would you recommed for this set up?
Has to pull the fourth with no esitation in every condition. Also some good tips about best set up (transfer exhaust etc...) would be much appreciated.

thanks
Muttley McLadd

Unless you consider low gearing, an expansion pipe and a massive carb aren't going to make pulling fourth gear without 'esitation very easy.

Have you considered a more mild carb choice?
CakeAndArseParty
Noplastic

Muttley McLadd wrote:Unless you consider low gearing, an expansion pipe and a massive carb aren't going to make pulling fourth gear without 'esitation very easy.

Have you considered a more mild carb choice?

The carb was included in the Tassinari reed valve kit..it seemed a bit too big for me too but i cant tell how it is since i havent tryed it yet..thats why im asking for help...the reed valve mod is the typical rotary valve removal and inlet area enlarged to fit the reed valve block onto the clutch side of the crankcase.
ukpeckerwood
Main scooter: Vespa PX210

I would pop in a T5 fourth gear if I were you. I ran a similer set with a 34mm amal and taffy reed valve and it ran fine. I have since replaced it with a 28mm Keihen PWK to get more MPG and have lost a some power at high revs but low down power has improved a lot.
Yanker

iI agree with ukpeckerwood about the 36 tooth 4th gear

If this is not enough then 22/65 primary transmission.
Muttley McLadd

Or DRT do an even shorter fourth gear.
CakeAndArseParty
Noplastic

Thanks for your reply, i have a t5 fourth gear but for experience i know that when a Malossi doesnt really pull the fourth the t5 fourth cant do much.. the problem with the PX gearing is that if you put the 65 primary drive in than you cant adjust the gearing just by swopping the clutch gear cogs 'cause the 22 doesnt match perfectly with the 65 and tends to slip... if i had a DRT z37 i would have no doubts, i'd go for that route: 23/65+z37 but since i dont and looks like its finished everywhere in Europe im wandering if to go for the 23/65+z36 and risk.. or put a 22/68... but could that be too short and kill the bike's top speed... :?
Noplastic

In addition if i put the 65 primary drive by DRT (which fit well with the 22) i have the opposite problem.. i cant lenghten the transmission by putting the 23 anymore...
Yanker

'cause the 22 doesnt match perfectly with the 65 and tends to slip ?

What do you mean "tends to slip"? Are you talking frome experience? If you are, then 'slip' is the wrong expression in English.
Noplastic

Yanker wrote:'cause the 22 doesnt match perfectly with the 65 and tends to slip ?

What do you mean "tends to slip"? Are you talking frome experience? If you are, then 'slip' is the wrong expression in English.
how do you say when two gears dont mesh properly... ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information