Leak down test.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Hi all, I knocked up a homemade leak down kit and it appears to work very well. There was a small leak between the exhaust gasket and the cover plate that I made. I sorted that but have now noticed a leak from the side casing which can only be from the crank side oil seal. Now I'm using a compressor via a tyre valve to pump air in as I don't own a footpump or bicycle pump. I'm sure I've read somewhere you need no more than 5psi to do this test. I'm sure when I fitted the crank it went past the seal without popping or damaging it. I took my time and rotated the crank and both it and the seal were well lubricated. I'm hoping ( really really hoping ) I'm just putting too much air in and it's simply just getting past the seal rather than I've blown it out with too much pressure? Could anyone tell me how much pressure these seals ( Rolf ) are designed to withhold before they leak and if it goes beyond it are they fooked? I obviously don't want to strip the whole top end dow
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

C’est la vie
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Ideally you wanna be seeing 7.5 psi without any leaks so if your seeing leaks a 5 I'd say yer proper fooked.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Hi holty go on YouTube fitting casa ss200 and leak down test he gives the correct pressure I am sure it's only 5to 7 psi or 350hms
Speed Demon
Dealer

Article and videos here on ScooterLab.

http://www.scooterlab.uk/engine-pressur ... heap-tech/
Get to SULK
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Thanks fellas. Much appreciated.
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

i had a look at the casa video this morning and noticed that after fitting the barrel and sealing it all with yamabond they had an air leak at the mag housing , now it could have been the drive side seal leaking , what they dont show is how long it took them to strip it all down , clean it up and redo the mag housing , so ive been in workshop and made this from an old 150 barrel , ive removed excess fins but didnt have to but as most were broken and had sharp edges , cut the top off the piston dowel it through the barrel and sealed it all up including inlet , now i can check the bottom end first before building up the top end on small block engines , im thinking this way i can also rotate the crank and check for leaks, any reason why this wont work ?
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
nellyboyo
Main scooter: Lambretta

As long as its airtight , it`ll work !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information