front disc brake tie bar length and angle, please help :)

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

getting the wheel in the centre was the easy bit :)

got 1 off links cut from solid 12mm steel, had to put the wheel in the lathe and take 1.5mm off the disc mounting surface as the disc touched the fork leg LOL

cool idea about the bracket though, like that, will think about making one with or at least big enough for 2-3 holes, then I can experiment to my hearts content, and as its hidden behind the front suspension, it cant really be seen

perhaps confuse people by saying that I move the pivot point depending on if Im commuting or racing LOL

if you cant blind them with science, baffle them with bullshit :)
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

thanks Jason, great work, love that front end.

I also have radial caliper
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
coaster

I have mine set at 90 degrees and really can't see how any other angle can work without the tie rod bending :? Has anyone ever tried experimenting with the springs removed? I have a feeling that if the angle is above or below 90 degrees, the tie rod will resist rotation by being forced over centre so will brake eventually....happy for someone to explain it if I have it wrong 8-)
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

coaster wrote:I have mine set at 90 degrees and really can't see how any other angle can work without the tie rod bending :? Has anyone ever tried experimenting with the springs removed? I have a feeling that if the angle is above or below 90 degrees, the tie rod will resist rotation by being forced over centre so will brake eventually....happy for someone to explain it if I have it wrong 8-)
If both ends of the tie bar are free to rotate around their fixing point and the caliper mounting bracket is free to rotate around the axle (both essential in my opinion for anti-dive), it seems to me that any suspension movement would be accomodated without binding or stress no matter what the angle (within reason).
The only thing that would change slightly is the amount of antidive (or lift) as you move away from the "ideal" 90 degrees. (might see if I can do some diagrams to check I'm not being an idiot :lol: )
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information