advice needed

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dave wheeler

my TV 175 has just had a new piston (62.8, last oversize), .3mm clearance, rich jetting and 17"btdc, and at very mild revs its seized after 15 miles, a 3 point seize, that though mild and the scoot restarted almost immediately, a strip down reveiled a trapped top ring which naturally couldn`t be got out without snapping.The piston is an S.R diamond 2 ring piston, not expensive
my question is why did it seize? is it cos the expansion rate of the piston was greater than standard and a hone to a wider clearance and new rings and everything will be ok, if so, how much should the clearance be.
on a related topic is an SR alloy barrel a straight swop for a standard TV barrel, and if i used a suzuki TS185 piston with a 116 con rod, how would that work regarding top and tailing?
cheers
dave wheeler

sorry thats 3 thou piston/barrel clearance :oops:
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

probably the coefficient of expansion on the cheap Diamond pistom is way out of kilter with the barrel- hence the seize.

Try a Mahle from Scooter Restos- not expensive and good IMO.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
dave wheeler

out of stock, i wouldnt have used one of these pistons had i any other options but there were no other 62.8 pistons available
shocky

Hi dave I think 3thou is to little clearance om a budget piston 4thou is the mark maybe your piston could be cleaned up and reused with new rings and a light hone to remove any scuffing on the cylinder have a look at the beedspeed page for costing to top and tail how ever it seems a shame to do that to a tv cylinder
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
dave wheeler

thanks for the reply guys, i spoke to paul at scooter restorations and he said " oh these definately need 4 thou", well given that a piston is only going to be used for one thing would it not make sense to let the customer know?? Anyway theyre sending a new set of rings and barrel honed out to 5 thou, as im on the last oversize i cant take a risk with another seize, given how well it ran last year with only 1 ring sealing i cant believe the clearance is so critical that it warents such tight tollerences
shocky

Who said 5 thou seems loose to me piston slap CAN cause the piston skirt to break off just be carefull
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
shocky

I just looked and there are other bigger oversizes who said you were on the last for your cylinder , I dont know what series your cylinder is but the series 3 tv can be taken to 66mm 65 mm being an old school "200" conversion
eden
Dealer

4 thou all day
dave wheeler

well its done now so will see, cant believe 5 thou is over the top when 3.5 and it nipped up when it was so rich it was barely rideable?
anyway what about the sr barrel? is it a straight swap? and id like to know where all these pistons are, i know theres an ancilloti conversion piston on ebay just now but what else, i have very little faith in this piston but there were NO alternatives, what work would a suzuki 185 conversion need as surely some of the machining is unnessesary with a 116 con rod, btw i cant imagine the skirt is at risk, you wanna see it, its built like a tank! :shock:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information