Renovate or conserve Mmmmmm

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
johnny LIS150
Main scooter: 1964 Lambretta LIS150 special

?
Last edited by johnny LIS150 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

Keep as is!!

With a bit of work and elbow grease that should come up a treat.

I don't know what you paid, but if you do a full resto on it AND sell it sometime in the future, you WILL lose money on it.

Keeping as is won't cost you anywhere near the full cost of a full resto.

My Silver Special is a 1965 model and is untouched since leaving Milan- even has the original cables (inners and outers)

As Coxy once said "they are only original once......"

Let us know

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

It does look very sound and probably a good basis for a rusteration. But, you've got to consider that it's going to need a new rear end welded on for a start. Along with a new mudguard and horncast. Not to mention panels. The mixing and matching is going to be a nightmare. Still, overall I think I'd probably err towards a rusto as none of those parts need to match particularly, and I think it would give it character. The back end is going to be the main thing. But of course that's largely going to be hidden anyway.
johnny LIS150

that special is immaculate Chris ! :shock: Is that really the original paintwork ? it looks gorgeous !

I have this constant battle going on in my head. Should I replace everything with nice shiny stainless and chrome bits ? or just media blast the original rusty nuts bolts and fittings and keep them ?
If I start replacing stuff where does it end ? I definitely don't want to end up with a new looking scooter .. .I kinda like the 'rat' look but then I would probably be embarrassed to ride around on such a rusty heap .! :roll:

If I keep the painted bits as is should I treat the rust with Vactan or other cure rust ? or just let it continue to rust away ? Aghhhhh

Maybe I'll replace all the mechanical and moving parts so that everything functions like new and keep the bodywork as it is ....

If it wasn't so damn original I'd probably not feel so undecided about what to do with it.
johnny LIS150

Doom Patrol wrote:It does look very sound and probably a good basis for a rusteration. But, you've got to consider that it's going to need a new rear end welded on for a start. Along with a new mudguard and horncast. Not to mention panels. The mixing and matching is going to be a nightmare. Still, overall I think I'd probably err towards a rusto as none of those parts need to match particularly, and I think it would give it character. The back end is going to be the main thing. But of course that's largely going to be hidden anyway.
luckily I have the horncast its just missing the mudguard and panels and rear reg plate part of the body.

I'll run it just as I did in 1967 with no rear floors , mudguard or panels but it would be good to have them in case I ever sell it.

Is anyone producing a repair panel for the rear ? or is it just a case of fabricating something out of sheet steel ? I have a MIG so welding will be easy enough
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

yes- the paintwork on mine is original!

I was viewing your pix in "pro-silver" which does tend to crop parts and I didn't see the chopped rear end.

Having said that, I would still keep it "as is" and get a rear end of a loop to weld on.

I know what you mean about running the scooter as per 1967 with no sidepanels or rear floor boards- go for it mate- don't be put off.

Whilst I have every admiration for those that do do a full resto ( I've done many myself), they are just that- restorations. They don't have the "history" shown in every knock ; scrape or rust spot. Anyone with enough cash can do a factory restoration- look at the number of SX200's with ox-blood seats there are around- stunning superb machines, but missing that "soul" which only an original machine can posess.

Live your 1967 dream!

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

Conserve looks a great project :D
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
Soulpunk

conserve !
clean it 1 whole day and polish a part of the legshield and then you won´t ask again..
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

+1 on conserve
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Muttley McLadd

Neither.

Don't be soft. Build a chop.
CakeAndArseParty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information