Sneak Peak

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
225worb
Main scooter: Vespa 225, Falc , 230 S2

Wow.....love the work put into this, the rear disc/wheel conversion looks great too.. Cant wait to see the finished carbon paneling etc..
Just out of interest how much would a carbon pkxl horn cover cost if youve a spare ???? it would look great on mine !!!!
T5-190

Hi 225worb, thanks for the nice comments. The horn cover I made is about 60mm longer than a standard one, this I did to bring it closer to the Lambretta forks I've fitted. It helped close the bottom gap up a bit, I know Lammy forks in a Vespa is not to every ones taste but I like the look. But I might make a few spare head cowling though, there must be a small market out there for them. As long as people are not in a hurry for them, work takes me away from the man cave alot.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

very good work your doing, the cowl looks spot on, i am impressed with your carbon can as well, keep us upto date with progress on this, what carb are you fitting, i guess its going in the frame ?
holty
T5-190

Hi holty, the can is quite easy to make if you have the the raw parts to hand. It was made from 4 layers of 200 gsm carbon cloth and a little clear epoxy. I found a plastic pipe that just fitted inside another plastic pipe. You cut the larger pipe down its length so it fits over the smaller one. Soak the cloth with the epoxy and lay it over the smaller pipe then place the larger one over the top and fix with lots of cable ties. Leave over night and break out and trim to size. Four layers gives just over 1 mm.

Carb wise I got a 38 mm PWK Keihin and a 38 mm PWK keihin power jet both off ebay. One was only £10 as it was spelt wrong and in the section, bargin.

I was thinking of having the carb coming out of the frame. They are a real pain to set up when they're in the frame and to change cables etc. But the cylinder has the readvalve part at a strong angle towards the frame not on a centre line as with other smallframe kits. See picture below.

T5-190

A little more done, work getting in the way again. For some reason there is no head cowling for this cylinder kit, it says to use a PX125 one. So I bought one and it doesn't fit in anyway, the shape, fit and screw holes all wrong. Online I found that with a little work a T5 one will fit, these seem to be like gold dust and have gone up in price a lot. So I bought one for £40 and guess what that doesn't fit very well either. The main thing wrong is the spark plug hole. So I will be using it as a spare, me and the mrs have two T5's between us. So I have decided to make my own, I just cut a PK 125 to fit then filled the gap and painted over to a high gloss finish using resin used for mould making. From this I made a two part fibre glass mould. From this I will make a carbon fibre head cowling.

T5-190

Today's headache will be the rear shock. The original one is leaking and rubs on the wide rear tyre anyway. So I bought a very nice BGM shock in all black, I have stripped and re powder coated the spring bright red to match the front shocks. But guess what ? this rubs on the rear tyre more than the old shock due to the fact the spring is a little heavier gauge. So I have had to modify the bottom mount, lucky it just screws into the bottom of the shock body. It has a fine thread and is loctited in place. This was moved 8mm to one end of the shock mount, not ideal but unavoidable. Will post up a couple of pics later.
T5-190

A few from today.

T5-190

So after a long hiatus I have finally got this project back on the bench. I've had to re upload some of my pictures from photobucket to flickr. SO here goes, the carbon fibre rear end I had made was not wide enough to go over the Quattrini engine cases. They are about 25mm - 30mm wider than stock so I had to cut the rear end back into 2 pieces and bond a fibreglass strip back into it. I will then re make the moulds and re make the rear end. Cutting the metal rear end off the little PK felt a bit weird to be honest, but it was un usable to be fair. I had welded the side panels shut and filled in all the lock holes etc.

Image20210804_111921 by mark christie, on Flickr
T5-190

T5-190

Image20210804_121157 by mark christie, on Flickr

Image20210804_123136 by mark christie, on Flickr

Like I said feels weird and looks weird, next will be a 20mm steel tube frame to sit the rear end on. For this I took inspiration from Ducksta's last project. You can just fit the rear end onto a cut back, cut down rear end , but a tube frame gives very good access to work on the engine etc. I will also make this bolt on and off. More soon.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information