Sneak Peak

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Spanish Fly
Main scooter: P200e

Nice shed too! ;)
Self build? ;)

SF
Yanker

T5-190 wrote:[I made a mould for the main spine for the scooter too. This I may not use, I may just cover the spine with carbon fibre to give it the look.
4 Real? U gonna glue the fork stem into them carbon shields too and glue the whole MF carbon fork/leg/tunnel section to the rear subframe? sorry if i sound incredulous, but i am struggling to get my head arround your vision here. :oops:
Wayne Miller
Main scooter: Vespa 50 Special (Rotax Proto)

Awesome

PM Sent ;)
Stay tuned..............
T5-190

Yanker wrote:
T5-190 wrote:[I made a mould for the main spine for the scooter too. This I may not use, I may just cover the spine with carbon fibre to give it the look.
4 Real? U gonna glue the fork stem into them carbon shields too and glue the whole MF carbon fork/leg/tunnel section to the rear subframe? sorry if i sound incredulous, but i am struggling to get my head arround your vision here. :oops:
Yanker, I too share your concern. Bonding parts together is not imposible, its how we put F1 car together. I have made a mould for the main spine and made a short test piece from it. But I won't be using it, I will be sticking carbon fibre cloth to the spine instead just to "match" the rest of the bodywork. The legshields will be double sided and bonded back onto the metal spine, the metal legshields are spot welded to the spine in about 20 places. So bonding on the new ones will be a lot stronger than the metal ones. The Italians have be making fibreglass legshields for a while now. The fork stem is welded inside the spine and not to the legshields anyway. Having a one piece lift off rear section makes working on a vespa smallframe engine alot easyer.

Carbonfibre body parts made the correct way will always be lighter and stronger than steel ones, as said I work in the carbonfibre industry. The parts will be made using pre-pegnated carbonfibre, laid into moulds and baked in a £1.2m autoclave. Parts made the old fibreglass way i.e. wet laid are usually heavyer and not as strong as the metal ones they replace.
Last edited by T5-190 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
T5-190

Spanish Fly wrote:Nice shed too! ;)
Self build? ;)

SF
I'm glad you like the shed, my missus tells me she is a shed widow hahaha. Its my little piece heaven I guess. The shed was about £600 flat packed, but the roof had to be changed to a better one within a year or so and I insulated and cladded the inside too because it was like a damn fridge in the winter.
ducksta

Spanish Fly wrote:Nice shed too! ;)
Self build? ;)

SF
think we should do a article on sheds where we build the scoots
live life your a long time dead
T5-190

Its been a while so here is a very small update. The forks have now been changed for lammy ones, I know this isn't to everybody's liking but I've always wanted a smallframe with Lammy forks in. To these I have added P.M. stainless steel links and a pair of their new dampers. This will in time be paired with a Mito twin disc brake set up.

Engine wise I have gone down the Quattrini 200cc route and have purchased the complete top end,crank and engine cases. I'm not quite shore about the exhaust yet, the one that should be used with this kit is an absoloute pig to look at. So I may modify a Hammer zombie or make one from scratch.

fastfrog
Main scooter: T5 mk1, SS180, PX200 millenium

a killing! :o
Size matters!
ducksta

ime starting another build t5 same but without the rear body this time, who converted the forks for you?
live life your a long time dead
T5-190

ducksta wrote:ime starting another build t5 same but without the rear body this time, who converted the forks for you?
Hi ducksta, I did the forks at home myself. To be honest they were quite easy to do. I used and old set of Lammy ones for the bottom and cut them off about half way down, then cut the whole length off the PK 50 fork and worked out what I needed to stick out at the headset end and at the bottom bearing end. I had to turn a small spacer for the bottom bearing race to sit on or the scooter would been at a strange downward facing angle. The front of the scooter would have been about 60mm to low. The top of the forks is in the same place as normal and the steering lock etc all line up.

I had a small 45' prep machined onto each folk tube to help with the welding and a tube to go into each folk piece. The two folk tubes are surpising the same inside diameter but not on the outside. I also had to make a small plate so that the steering went from side to side without hitting the legsheilds. I will put up a few pictures later.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information