Series 5 exhaust identification/mounting

Anything related to Lambretta or Vespa Scooters fitted with LC, Motorcycle and/or Auto engines!
Tom Russell

Hi,

Hopefully, one of our resident Auto experts can help me out with this :)

I'm trying to help a mate with his Frank Sanderson/Lambretta Innovations Series 5, which I believe is fitted with a Runner/Dragster Malossi 172 kitted engine and PM pipe etc.

The exhaust keeps on coming loose and then loosing the exhaust studs/nuts out of the barrel :(

I've had a good look on the PM site, and I don't think the exhaust is a current model, but before I go calling them (and completely confusing them), I wondered if anyone on here was familiar with this type of exhaust and the way it is supposed to mount correctly?!

It currently has (in addition to the 2 x 8mm stud mounting on the barrel) just a single 8mm threaded bolt, which is part of the exhaust bracket (though looks as though it's making a mess of the bracket), which in turn fixes/connects to the gold PM hanger bracket (see pics below). I can't help thinking he/we must be missing something, because if this is all that holds the exhaust on (along with the barrel stud mounting), then no wonder it keeps on falling off!! :roll:

Also, what type of studs/nuts do these barrels use (or is it just 2 x 8mm bolts) and any idea/web link where I can purchase these from.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom :D

thebassmasta
Main scooter: GP TS1 240

that just looks like a modified pm59 to fit the auto, dont think frank manufactured a curly pipe for the series 5, if you have a look on this page http://www.lambrettainnovation.co.uk/vi ... php?pid=16 of my old auto you will see pm made the pipes for the series 5 straight but i have seen people modify curlys (pm59) to fit. your mates pipe looks worn through vibration more than likely. lock tight on cylinder studs will help but use pan washers on the rear section with some thick rubber and nyloc nuts. also i dont think the exhaust studs are 8mm there either 6 or 7mm , but its been along time since i worked on one so i stand to be corrected
Tom Russell

thebassmasta wrote:that just looks like a modified pm59 to fit the auto, dont think frank manufactured a curly pipe for the series 5, if you have a look on this page http://www.lambrettainnovation.co.uk/vi ... php?pid=16 of my old auto you will see pm made the pipes for the series 5 straight but i have seen people modify curlys (pm59) to fit. your mates pipe looks worn through vibration more than likely. lock tight on cylinder studs will help but use pan washers on the rear section with some thick rubber and nyloc nuts. also i dont think the exhaust studs are 8mm there either 6 or 7mm , but its been along time since i worked on one so i stand to be corrected
Thanks for your reply and help bassmasta :)

So, it would appear that there is only one main mounting point on this type of exhaust; like I said before, no wonder it keeps working loose! :roll:

My mate did mention that his scoot "vibrates" a great deal, so is it the bracket on the exhaust, where the bolt slots through that looks worn to you bassmasta??

Any idea what would be causing this "vibration"?? Don't know much about autos, but is there a common/regular thing (engine/shock mounts etc.) that usually wears and causes this type of vibration, or do we need to be looking at something more severe, such as the crank etc.?? :?

The exhausts studs required are definitely 8mm, as I checked this last night. Maybe they have been drilled and tapped.

Thanks again for your help, any more advice (from anyone) would be most appreciated!!

Thanks,

Tom :D
e type

There are only three mounting points on the pm59 zorst.. As I've a frank/pm made 59 on mine I used thread lock on the bolts an tbh if it's got a standard runner crank there not exactly well balanced an could do with a decent balanced item to stop the vibes an the frank frames do tend to promote vibration u can change the frame mounts for softer type frank sells them an bar ends also cut the vibration down in the bars ..I think the frank conversions need more rubber round the engine an frame mounts to stop viberation ..thread lock an nyloc nuts will be your mates best friend lol
AUTOBRETTA

the PM 59 should fit onto a stub,the stub is bolted to the barrel,the 59 fits to the stub with 2 springs,
this is the best pipe for bhp,
Tom Russell

e type wrote:There are only three mounting points on the pm59 zorst.. As I've a frank/pm made 59 on mine I used thread lock on the bolts an tbh if it's got a standard runner crank there not exactly well balanced an could do with a decent balanced item to stop the vibes an the frank frames do tend to promote vibration u can change the frame mounts for softer type frank sells them an bar ends also cut the vibration down in the bars ..I think the frank conversions need more rubber round the engine an frame mounts to stop viberation ..thread lock an nyloc nuts will be your mates best friend lol
Thanks for confirming all of this "e type", all of which I will pass on to my mate :)
Tom Russell

AUTOBRETTA wrote:the PM 59 should fit onto a stub,the stub is bolted to the barrel,the 59 fits to the stub with 2 springs,
this is the best pipe for bhp,
Yes, the exhaust does fit onto a stub, so sounds as though this is a PM59, thanks :)
thebassmasta
Main scooter: GP TS1 240

put a picture up of your engine mounts, this could be one of franks early conversions and may need softer mounts to absorb the vibration. Auto unforunatley do vibrate alot that will never change. Just put rubber in between anything metal to metal it will help absorb the vibration, an old lorry mudlap is a good donor
Tom Russell

thebassmasta wrote:put a picture up of your engine mounts, this could be one of franks early conversions and may need softer mounts to absorb the vibration. Auto unforunatley do vibrate alot that will never change. Just put rubber in between anything metal to metal it will help absorb the vibration, an old lorry mudlap is a good donor
Thanks bassmasta, here's a pic of the engine mounts :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information