GP trim question

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
simplex

Gents.

I am on the last stretch of completing an 8 month resto of my daily ride... the 1st phase of it anyway.

I purchased trim kit .. rubbers were usable, bit thin in some places.. but on inspecting the panel grills, they look like something from a 50p Airfix kit.. few bits of flaky plastic which can be trimmed i suppose. but they have unsightly cast marks - dull cheap plastic and not really what you'd want on a spanking shiney panel.

I dont want to go through the whole ordering from multiple vendors only to find they're all the same quality. I have given up on finding a decent plastic horncast grill.. as the 6 I have bought already are all s**t.. my scuffed original is still shiner and obviously better quality plastic- even 40 years old and with a couple of snapped grills, and have succumbed to using an ally grill.

Anyone know of anywhere that does good quality plastic GP side panel grills..

thanks
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

can't help you specifically, but I understand original plastic GP sidepanel bits are very costly for some reason.

Have you tried Scooter Restorations?
Scootering since 1968.
simplex

Thanks
Stock images on an online shop don't mean anything,as i've fell victim to that ruse a couple of times already.. some feedback on anyone that has purchased -and happy with what they have received would be a bonus
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

The SR ones state that they are Italian, that's usually [but not always] a good indication of quality. In general most Indian made parts were made to keep Indian scooters on the road in India so quality wasn't a priority for them, though cost was, make it as cheap as possible with zero quality control. Some Indian stuff is passable, but rarely of high quality. Speak to SR on the phone and ask for an honest opinion of them, believe it or not there are honest people out there. Ask if a refund of funds is available if parts are not up to your requirement.
steviegp200
Main scooter: lambretta gp

scootopia and cam lam have casa italian ones that look pretty good as corrado says contact scoot restos ive dealt wi them for years and theyre very honest they do sell some budget trim parts but if you tell them its for a high spec resto they'l sort you out
simplex

Cheers .. i will give SR a call in the morning

Dunno bout a 'high spec resto'... just dont want to use moody looking parts.. the ones I bought were "Sourced from Italy, quality excellent"

They will go in the box with all the unused plastic horn cast grills i have
corrado
Dealer

simplex wrote: They will go in the box with all the unused plastic horn cast grills i have
Innocenti called them weight saving performance enhancing parts ......... and should be sold on ebay as such. :D
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

I used a GP black rubber kit for my GP rebuild earlier this Year wasnt a Casa one but i found it to be excellent quality
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
corrado
Dealer

Viets make very high quality rubber parts now [along with some crappy ones too] but they don't make the plastic parts like GP panel louvre grilles and GP horncast grilles. They make them from alloy. The polished ones are nice but the paint comes off the Black ones with the slightest knock.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Get the alloy ones powder coated in satin black?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information