The Super Monza exposed.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Muppet wrote:possibly the SM has better control of heat build up which lets it put down more power for longer but not showing as much peak power as the bigger motors on a inertia Dyno?
It's a valid question....and i don't know the answer. But I do know that when I tested both SuperMonza scooters (one on Sunday and one Monday) they both seemed rich to me and had a dip mid curve......but I also know Charlie couldn't get any of the scooters (Jimmy's, Tonys, and the sprinter) up to the working temp he wanted as I had no loading device. So it's one of many possible contributing factors to this conversation.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Darrell Taylor
Dealer
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA

soosh wrote:Lol! It doesn't bother me either way as I'm not in the market for an RB group6 or a Super Monza but as far as bickering goes,Darrel asked a valid question and got his head bitten off. I do like the bit about no major changes were made. Do you need major changes to get more horses then?
shame really as i genuinely am interested in the supermonza kit and fancied one myself for a new race motor and tony knows that as i enquired to him about getting hold of one a few months ago ,the triple port arrangement makes it the best design for race use but it looks like ill be using other options
im still confused
there appears to be a few options ,if u get the std s monza is that 30bhp and if u pay extra for the ultimate is that 30 bhp and is there a works version? is that also 30bhp
question to soulsurfer and nelson who own one ,what power are they ?30 and what speeds you seen ?105
feel free to use this link to contact me on facebook and like it(if u like it)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taylor-T ... 8819767924
Darrell Taylor
Dealer
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:
Avantone wrote:
lamy150 wrote:hoping someone can help me out??,ive been chasing 100mph for a few years and it does seem you need close to 40 bhp,a light rider and a decent tail wind

(hopefully a slight gradient,lol) to get there,i think im missing something here that a 30bhp motor can actually pull 100mph+,on the day of these 'speed's'

being reached on the sm were there any other 30 bhp sm's there to take a comparison from,think i might ditch my mid 30 bhp highly tuned engine for a

lesser 30 bhp sm to reach the magical figure,dont want to cause any arguments but come on!!!!!!!,100mph at 30 bhp!!!!!
Over 60 it's all about aerodynamics - machine AND rider.

You could do it on 30 and fail with 50 depending on the above.
I seem to recall you did some work on this type of calculation before didn't you? I don't know if the post is still on here.....are you in a position to add any figures or graphs to the post as what you said is quite interesting.

ill help out with this have a screenshot i can put up mfor you
feel free to use this link to contact me on facebook and like it(if u like it)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taylor-T ... 8819767924
nelson pk

Darrell Taylor wrote:
soosh wrote:Lol! It doesn't bother me either way as I'm not in the market for an RB group6 or a Super Monza but as far as bickering goes,Darrel asked a valid question and got his head bitten off. I do like the bit about no major changes were made. Do you need major changes to get more horses then?
shame really as i genuinely am interested in the supermonza kit and fancied one myself for a new race motor and tony knows that as i enquired to him about getting hold of one a few months ago ,the triple port arrangement makes it the best design for race use but it looks like ill be using other options
im still confused
there appears to be a few options ,if u get the std s monza is that 30bhp and if u pay extra for the ultimate is that 30 bhp and is there a works version? is that also 30bhp
question to soulsurfer and nelson who own one ,what power are they ?30 and what speeds you seen ?105
Darrell
With the greatest respect on that question......you know you are just being silly now as i wouldn't run optimised gearing for a sprint meet and optimised jetting on the road like a competitor on that day would! Are you saying that you made no changes to gearing or jetting either and you dont do this on race days also?

My point and i still stand by that and soosh, with the greatest respect.....is go and get your bike dyno'd for power then dont change anything to the barrel and exhaust and put a bigger carb and more efficient ignition on and see how many extra horses at peak power you get but this doesn't matter now anyway as per soulsurfers post.

Someone said on here that "Darrell asked a question and got his head bitten off". No actually Darrell also in a previous thread said that he did not believe straight liners results. I dont think thats helpful to straightliners or very sportsman like to the guy who got that time and if the roles were reversed he wouldn't be a happy bunny. Congratulate someone on achieving a great result then on a national forum say you dont believe it. Very nice and sportsman like.

Darrell i still have respect for you and you are good at what you do and your racing year has been great but this is just silly to the extreme.

I've made my points and everyone is entitled to their opinion and i wont post in this thread any more unless it gets back on track.
hotwheels

I have been lucky enough to own most of the kits available to date, ie, jap ts230 tuned by jb when he was at kegra(purple tunnel run gp)also an Af tuned rapido 250 and one of the first rb's to come out which is now a tuned 230, also the falc 50 special that cracked the 100mph at the shootout, so I'm quite well acquainted with fast scooters. I rode the super monza charley brought back from Spain a few weeks after he got back and as a result ordered one. Why?? Because I was impressed with the way the power came in and stayed there without having to wring its neck and having had major reliability / heat issues with the rb, i wanted something that I could ride with clubmates at a reasonable pace without it choking up, and go fast on my own without having to rev it to death to keep it in the power, my ts and rb are fast scooters but they both have to be kept in a fairly narrow high revving powerband to achieve max bhp which is ok when racing fellow tunnel runners but not great for fast cruising etc....when I rode the super monza It felt effortless to achieve the same results and I loved the way it didnt rev too high, the power was on tap all the time at whatever speed without having to change up or down through the gears.

now re price, I wanted to buy a complete motor for my new build and compared the price of a highly tuned rb or ts from tuners i had used in the past and a complete motor from charley there wasn't a lot in it, I'm not suggesting for a minute these are cheap but having done the bolt on a kit and then try different pipes cranks clutches gearboxes etc... And fooked most of the bits trying to find a combination that works, i liked the idea Of having a complete motor designed and built by one tuner that actually worked with my riding style without the arse ache previously mentioned!!!!! I'm sure in its standard guise whatever the bhp there are faster bikes out there ( my 50 special for instance...lol) but I don't think that's the point. I believe the idea is a fast touring motor that should be reliable(low revs so less wear on parts etc..) frugal, but most of all plenty of grunt when required. (I will update you when mines finished)
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

nelson pk wrote:
My point and i still stand by that and soosh, with the greatest respect.....is go and get your bike dyno'd for power then dont change anything to the barrel and exhaust and put a bigger carb and more efficient ignition on and see how many extra horses at peak power you get
Also with the greatest respect,I'd be looking at mid range so I could pull higher gearing myself and apparently this bad boy could be it: -
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28488
Helps top end too according to this. If getting the max out of this kit,something like the SM (if my maths is correct) could hit 39hp. Now that's not bad at all,and that's without any carb change.
davet

My Lambretta makes 20hp, does 75mph on a good day, 50mpg on a good day also and I only argue with my friends when my exhaust falls off.

But do you know what?

I'm happy and content in my own little world.
Dono
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

tony wrote:Hi Steve.
Firstly it's not mine. I photographed it at least 6 months ago for an advert.
Yes it's an ultimate kit. The barrel is the same spec as Jimmy Winters 105.6 mph motor. Jimmy had the large carb (34 dellorto)option and the various manifolds available can be seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title = The Super Monza exposed. to Quote tony = The barrel is the same spec as Jimmy Winters 105.6 mph motor!!!

Can someone tell me did the "Super Monza" or the "Ultimate Super Monza" 30 bhp hit 105.6mph ? there seems to be some miss quoting here!! Did the "super monza" crack the Ton or the "Ultimate Super Monza". And what is the difference between the two kits, please don't tell me the only difference between the two is a 34 dellorto.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.....
http://scunthorpesilhouettes.co.uk/
soulsurfer

Dono wrote:
Title = The Super Monza exposed. to Quote tony = The barrel is the same spec as Jimmy Winters 105.6 mph motor!!!

Can someone tell me did the "Super Monza" or the "Ultimate Super Monza" 30 bhp hit 105.6mph ? there seems to be some miss quoting here!! Did the "super monza" crack the Ton or the "Ultimate Super Monza". And what is the difference between the two kits, please don't tell me the only difference between the two is a 34 dellorto.
tony wrote:Hi Steve.
Yes it's an ultimate kit. The barrel is the same spec as Jimmy Winters 105.6 mph motor. Jimmy had the large carb (34 dellorto)option
Jimmy's was an ultimate kit with 34 Dellorto, quite clear IMO :?

More info here...
http://www.supermonza.co.uk/fitting.php

Of you can call Cambridge Lambretta ;)
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

Just out of interest,with this spec,what time did it achieve down the 1/4?
Locked Previous topicNext topic
  • Information