Rally with er...points

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
fraggleexport
Main scooter: vespa sprint

Hello all, After a little advice please...
Bought a 76 Rally last week as a restoration...The engine and frame number both confirm they are a 76...and it was imported from Italy...
Runs for a little while so its there or thereabouts together...

Took it to bits at the weekend but realised I'd missed a trick in so much as there was no CDI unit. Took off the flywheel today and sure enough its points :o
Surely this isn't normal as I guessed all Rallys have electronic ignition??...and either way I want it!

Am I looking at having to stump up for a stator plate CDI unit regulator and flywheel ? and is it that simple. Is Beedspeed the place to still go as I coverted my Sprint a couple of years ago.

If there's anything else I need to watch out for then All advice is gratefully accepted because as soon as I get deeper than the piston and the stator Im in uncharted waters :)
Thanks Kevin
Muttley McLadd

Is it a (very) late 180?
CakeAndArseParty
goldeneye

engine been swapped ? 180"s were superceded by 200"s in 1972.
soullad
Dealer

can you take a pic of that engine side, with the flywheel off showing the stator and casing side.
What is the engine number ?
markpryke
Main scooter: jett 200

shaw it not spanish they use femsotronic
fraggleexport

Yes okay chap, i'll get a picture tonight. I havent the engine number to hand but Scooterhelp says its a Rally '76 engine. Hence the confusion
Is it Spanish? hmm well I couldnt rule it out but the buyer said he bought it from Italy and he seemed like an honest chap.

Assuming its one or the other, is there an option where I wont be able to convert it to 12VAC.

Seperate question: Does the Rally engine have a regulator box? Cant seem to find one on pictures
fraggleexport

Okay heres a picture of the engine/ Stator and flywheel. (Still struggling to get the inner boss of the flywheel off)
The more I think about it the more I think someone broke the CDI and clagged on something they had lying around with points
Either way could someone guess as to what the flywheel is just out of interest?
The engine number is 0030468 with stars either side. Also VSE1M stamped near.

Thanks Kevin

Two more questions. How do I tell what crank it is (and how do I know if its damaged)

screamingimages
Main scooter: vespa rally 200

the early rally 200s ( I have PAM72M a 1973 rally 200 with points ) had points but a 1976 one should be CDI why would you be concerned about the crank, unless some prats stuffed the woodruff key messing with the stator
if it moves shoot it with a camera
goldeneye

the flywheel is "self extracting", there should be a circlip in the groove behind the flywheel nut, and as you undo the f/w nut, the f/w should pull itself off the crank....In theory. in practice, if its rusted, or has been bent out of shape in the past, the circlip just bends over , and you end up in a pan shite get it off. as yourself, ive removed the main bit of the flywheel, and used a small 3 legged puller to get the center off in the past. good luck.
goldeneye

looking at the pics, I"d remove the barrel, get a con rod holding tool on the rod, soak the nut in penatrating fluid for a couple of days, and try an air powered impact gun on the nut, with a snug fitting 6 sided socket.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information