Insurance = rip-off????

Who do YOU insure your scooter with, give recommendations and opinions...
vRSG60
Main scooter: Lambretta Li125 Lambretta GP20

Passed my bike test yesterday so I rang my insurance broker this morning (Carole Nash) to inform them of my change is circumstances.
Shock horror - there's no refund for a full licence and they want the princely sum of £35 for the privilege of making the change :o

If I cancel the policy to then take out a classic bike policy I get bugger all back, unless I take the policy out with Carole Nash, in which case I get £50 back. I started the policy in March this year and paid £170+.
They had the cheek to tell me the policy price was £80 odd and the rest was broker fees and legal protection. So more than the cost of the insurance policy.

I told them to forget the conversation as it was in my interest to carry on as we stand.

This is not on really. I'm going to let the policy lapse then tell them to stuff it in future and look around for a classic bike policy. What sort of quotes can I expect?
1964 Li125 standard scoot.
I get my kicks out on the floor.
Barry@Bikesure

vRSG60 wrote:Passed my bike test yesterday so I rang my insurance broker this morning (Carole Nash) to inform them of my change is circumstances.
Shock horror - there's no refund for a full licence and they want the princely sum of £35 for the privilege of making the change :o

If I cancel the policy to then take out a classic bike policy I get bugger all back, unless I take the policy out with Carole Nash, in which case I get £50 back. I started the policy in March this year and paid £170+.
They had the cheek to tell me the policy price was £80 odd and the rest was broker fees and legal protection. So more than the cost of the insurance policy.

I told them to forget the conversation as it was in my interest to carry on as we stand.

This is not on really. I'm going to let the policy lapse then tell them to stuff it in future and look around for a classic bike policy. What sort of quotes can I expect?
Hi,

Sorry to hear you've been having trouble with your insurance. To pay £35 to change the licence type sounds a little harsh to me.

If you look for a classic insurance through ourselves, you could be looking at around £60-£100 - depending on your details though this could be more.

Feel free to have a browse on our website. It explains who we are, what classic insurance is and what we can offer you.

https://www.bikesure.co.uk/classic-moto ... urance.php

Let me know if you have any more questions or you think I can help in any way.

Thanks

Barry
vRSG60

Thanks Barry. I have a GP200 due in the next 2 weeks so I'll take a look at your website when I get it. Then look to changing my current policy for the Li125 when it is due.
Den 08
Main scooter: lambretta Gp 225

vRSG60 wrote:
just make sure you haven't got auto renewal I did the same and when I told them a that I never wanted a renewal I was told £60 for 1 weeks insurance ,told them to get stuffed, debt collection agency letter :twisted: had to pay, lesson learned ;) I often wondered if I made a claim in that week would they have payed out :idea:
watch-em they don't love you :lol:
vRSG60

Rang them and made sure auto renew was cancelled. ;)
coaster

vRSG60 wrote:Passed my bike test yesterday so I rang my insurance broker this morning (Carole Nash) to inform them of my change is circumstances.

Personally, I wouldn't have expected a reduction mid policy, it would have been better if you'd arranged you test to coincide with the renewal. As for the quote from CN, I have just renewed mine for the same amount with them but that is for 2 Lambrettas, one Avanti 225 and one LiS with TS1. The initial renewal quote was £190 but they brought it down when I queried it. Apparently due to their records not being in sync with the status of a claim (not my fault).

I'm sure it's possible to find cheaper quotes but be clear that you are comparing apples with apples. I have previously used TR Youngs and for a couple of years they were unbeatable on price, both mine were on a classic policy for around £80. Then I got a renewal and the price had shot up to £160. That was when I phoned CN and found their price to be comparable BUT it came with full European breakdown cover whereas TR Young was UK only and the excess charge was only £25 (nil this year) instead of £50.

I'm also very impressed with the way my recent claim was handled, no fuss whatsoever, scooter fixed and paid for before the guilty party even got round to admitting liability.
philtrate
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA GP RB225

Congratultios on passing your test
ArmandTanzarian

Similar thing happened to me. Sold a scooter rang CN to tell them that I now had two scoots rather than three and was charged £35 for the privilege.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
gaz_powell

Just renewed with CN for my classic rider policy and I`m happy

The initial renewal quote was higher than expected so i queried it and after discussion and a waiver on the broker fee about £9.00 if i remember rightly we got agreed value on all 3 bikes (increased the value of P2) and came in £12 more than last (£4/per bike extra) so i was happy

its a lottery when it comes to insurance
ArmandTanzarian

I was a bit miffed about the £35 but overall I'm happy with CN. They insure 2 scoots a bike and a car all on the same policy and when I got knocked off the bike they sorted it all out very quickly.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information