P200 oil seal problem

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
kevspeed

On the way back from the Tenby national rally,the 'metal' type oil seal decided to spin in its recess,move out,and wrap itself around the crank :shock: ,even though it was a very tight fit on fitting,it somehow managed to come loose over a period of a year :? ,anyone experienced this before?,and any suggestions as to prevent it happening again?,it was originally fitted by heating the cases gently,applying a 'Loctite' substance,and pressing in.
gaz_powell

Other than dot punching it you couldnt have done anything else (even dot punching is over and above)

As its spun it will have "polished" the recess in the casing so best bet is to move onto the all rubber type - i only use Corteco (they are blue) - they were the genuine part before the metal type

Wasp Performance on ebay do them at a really good price

Crank and casings okay ?

Best of Luck
kevspeed

Thanks for the reply,the crank and casings look fine,are these 'Corteco' seals resistant to the crap they are adding to the petrol these days?,also,do you use any form of sealer when fitting?,i tried looking for Wasp Performance on Ebay,but got no results in the search!
kevspeed

kevspeed wrote:i tried looking for Wasp Performance on Ebay,but got no results in the search!
Managed to find them!!,but no clutch side seal is listed :?
gaz_powell

I dont use a sealer with the rubber ones only the metal

Regarding cortecos resistance to additives who knows - there are the camp that say you must have Viton and those who disagree

I think the genuine metal type use Viton (Brown) on the inner part of the seal - however there a pattern metal ones out there that have a black seal.

I only speak as i find and have no trouble with them in both Vespa and Lambretta - the last vespa one to fail on me was a black all rubber KOK brand but never a Corteco

I also only use Corteco on the flywheel side

Not many places sell the Corteco - they are getting more difficult to get hold of

Just checked ebay and Wasp only have flywheel side listed - ive just sent a message to see if they have any clutch side

Allstyles http://www.allstyles-scooters.com/acata ... 2964B.html
Last edited by gaz_powell on Mon May 13, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

You will get the seals from beedspeed as well. I don't think the modern fuel would have caused this, it attacks the fuel line and seals on your fuel tap. My guess it may just have expanded due to the heat when riding and then contracted when your engine cooled down, this is only a suggestion to why this happened.
gaz_powell

I personally dont think modern fuel affects these seals (get ready to be shot down !!!)

Allstyles have tham at £10 a pop http://www.allstyles-scooters.com/acata ... 2964B.html

dont think Beedspeed do the Corteco - they never had them last time i tried
gaz_powell

go direct to Wasp - they have them listed

http://www.wasp-performance.co.uk/

Cheap aswell !!
rapido230
Main scooter: vespa 210 & lambretta gp

You can get corteco seals from sip, only failure I had was off a copy seal which beedspeed sent me , stick to corteco
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

Is your clutchside main bearing worn ? I think that was the problem on my scooter . Bits of oil seal wiped away my rotary valve and left a nice circle on my crank . My scoot's a T5 classic and after spinning the first seal it widened the casing so much that nothing would hold a seal in for long . In the end I used a v small drill bit in a dremel , drilled 4 holes at 12 , 3 , 6 and 9 positions and point punched the viton seal into the holes . Haven't had a problem since . In fact the seal has outlasted the bearing which needs changing now .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information