Brighton Speed Trials, 2013

BSSO race info, reviews, plus rider and scooter tech info.
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

A colleague of mine has a small race car which he races at sprint meetings. It has a bored-out hyabusa lump and a chassis with an all-up weight of 400kg.

He attends the Brighton Speed Trials each year, and reckons the event could be spiced up with a couple of scooters. Does any one fancy racing up Madiera Drive?

http://www.brightonandhovemotorclub.co.uk/events.php

Check-out the competitor's list, there is mouth-watering array of machines on 2 and 4 wheels
Martin
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

Floats my boat as my son and his family live in Brighton - two birds 1 stone... :D
Did you have to do that?
Knowledge
Dealer

I see that a Steve Aldous has run an SX200 in previous years, but a scooter take-over might be fun.

You can see my mate Rob on this clip, about one minute in:

.... and a white Lambretta at about 2:50min
Martin
DigDug

Quite a rigorous selection process though....
Did you have to do that?
Knowledge
Dealer

DD,

Is there? Where have you read that? (I'm not saying you're wrong....)
Martin
DigDug

Knowledge wrote:DD,

Is there? Where have you read that? (I'm not saying you're wrong....)
On the "How do I enter the Brighton speed trials?" web page Martin....

Here's some extracts...

Each year, we get lots of people asking us “how do I enter” the annual National Brighton Speed Trials? held along Brighton’s famous Madeira Drive. So here, in a nutshell, is the answer...

The brighton speed trials is the world’s longest running Motorsport event and each year the Brighton and Hove Motor Club (who run the event) kindly invite the VMCC Sprint Section to select 40 or so motorcycles to represent the breadth of race and sprint machines throughout the decades.

How do you get an entry then...?

Well, priority is given first and foremost to our regular competitors who support us and ride throughout the year at our other events. Why do we do this? because as a group of unpaid enthusiasts, we rely on their regular attendance at sprint meetings to keep doing what we do. We feel it’s therefore appropriate to allow those with a proven record of attendance to be given a priority opportunity to enter this unique event and to race along Brighton’s famous seafront.

Secondly, if you have a machine of historical or public interest you’re also high on the list of people we’d like to see there. The Speed Trials is a public event and (just like our attendance at the VMCC’s Festival of 1000 Bikes), we have an obligation to put on a show of machines that will appeal to the 20 to 30,000 people who stand on the promenade during the racing, then come and mingle amongst the open paddock.

Finally, even if you have something super rare that you’ve just dragged out from under a bench, we’ll also take into consideration whether or not you’ve got racing experience. While Brighton may no longer be the fearsome Kilometre long track it once was (running dual lanes), there are risks associated with all motorsport and event specific safety measures aside (Madeira Drive is a public highway 364 days of the year), Brighton is not the place to be having your first ride. We therefore have a very simple rule that is strictly adhered to - if you have never ridden in at least one of our events beforehand, you will not get a ride! (though we reserve the right to make very rare exceptions for foreign riders who wish to enter).
Did you have to do that?
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Sounds like you need to get sprinting at some of their regular track based events first....,to get a foot in the door?
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Knowledge
Dealer

In that case, some of the people on here will qualify. Hooray.

If sprinters or racers who frequent this site aren't up for it, let's persuade Guy Topper or Stuart Day to have a go. (I bet it clashes with a race meeting).
Martin
DigDug

Knowledge wrote:In that case, some of the people on here will qualify. Hooray.

If sprinters or racers who frequent this site aren't up for it, let's persuade Guy Topper or Stuart Day to have a go. (I bet it clashes with a race meeting).
No it doesn't. :D
Did you have to do that?
paulmgreen
Main scooter: Lambretta Group 4 Race 200

I would be up for that.....
YouTuve Vlog channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEhrgL ... vY_4Px2WTg

www.JPPLambretta.co.uk

Sponsors Replay Scooters JPPLambretta
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information