Veapa PX engine into Sportique frame?

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
eadmr04

Will a px engine fit straight into a Sportique frame, if not, what mods are required. Likewise fitting a 10 inch wheel to the front, what mods are required? Cheers.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

The engine fits in, there might be a little fettling, with the shock height. Front end, no you can't just fit a 10" tyre/wheel rim. There's also wheel alignment to consider. I have done four of these conversions on a GS150, where it is slightly more difficult. Purchasing a set of 10" forks would be the easiest conversion. GL & VBB are 10" If you decide to put a disc front end then that's even more complex. You can buy front ends from SIP, Worb5 & Scooter Center. I don't know if any UK shops do one.
Gary
Yanker

GLscoot wrote:The engine fits in, there might be a little fettling, with the shock height. Front end, no you can't just fit a 10" tyre/wheel rim. There's also wheel alignment to consider. I have done four of these conversions on a GS150, where it is slightly more difficult. Purchasing a set of 10" forks would be the easiest conversion. GL & VBB are 10" If you decide to put a disc front end then that's even more complex. You can buy front ends from SIP, Worb5 & Scooter Center. I don't know if any UK shops do one.
Gary
eadmr04 please disregard 90%+ of the above as twaddle. Please advise if you have a 8" or 10" wheeled Sportique to get us rolling.
ArmandTanzarian

Yanker wrote:
eadmr04 please disregard 90%+ of the above as twaddle. Please advise if you have a 8" or 10" wheeled Sportique to get us rolling.
Since he quite clearly asks how you go about fitting a 10" wheel to the front I would say its a reasonable guess to assume that he has 8" wheels otherwise he wouldn't be asking how to replace a 10" wheel with another one would he.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
eadmr04

Not being a vespa man I was not 100% sure what model I was asking about but had been told it was a Sportique, looking at the chassis number I think it might be a Vespa 150 VBB2, does this makes sense, is this actually a seperate model and is there much difference? Not got much of a clue myself :oops: It has already got 10" wheels so could this have been standard on this model?

GLscoot, is it possible to slot a PX200 engine straight in without any frame mods and you mention that the shock may need some adjustment, could you expand on that?

Cheers guys and sorry for any confusion :oops:
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

P200 engine does have issues with the barrel hitting the frame, but it is possible to squeeze it in. The rear shock length, with the rubber buffer and distance bolt all need to be looked at. This can affect the barrel hitting the frame and the ride height. I have seen some done and they look ridiculous. The best way to get it to look correct is to take loads of pictures and measurements of the scooter with the original engine in the frame.
If your scooter has 10" rims already then there is no problem, unless you decide to fit a disc brake, then there are loads of modifications to do, but as i have said before the German scooter shops sell this complete unit, bit expensive though and to be honest not really necessary, all depends on what kind of look you are after. If you send me a PM i will send pictures of what to look out for fitting the engine. Dont want to offend any one else. even though i have fitted PX engines into a GS150 frame without cutting or butchering the frame.
Cheers Gary
eadmr04

PM sent Gary.
cit205

Yes. true that you may want to adjust shock height, easy when you see the spacers at the top.

You can buy awful looking 8 to 10" wheel adapters for these 4 bolt hub models but you could also fit slightly later forks and hub set from a GL/GTr /rally /Sprint , even the 8" wheel 150 super fork and hub assembly is easy enough to convert to 10" ,just add the shoes and back plate then you can use the rally type hub. Although not sure about headset fit and steering lock alignment on those going into the vbb frame.
eadmr04

cit205 wrote:Yes. true that you may want to adjust shock height, easy when you see the spacers at the top.

You can buy awful looking 8 to 10" wheel adapters for these 4 bolt hub models but you could also fit slightly later forks and hub set from a GL/GTr /rally /Sprint , even the 8" wheel 150 super fork and hub assembly is easy enough to convert to 10" ,just add the shoes and back plate then you can use the rally type hub. Although not sure about headset fit and steering lock alignment on those going into the vbb frame.
The front wheel is not an issue now as I had just presumed because it was a sportique, it would have 8" hub type wheels but it has actually got 10" already on there. So either originally 10" (is that possible, it's an import) or someone has already changed the forks? Just the engine side of things to sort now.
cit205

No, vbb /sportique should have 8 so it's been changed at some point.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information