Wassel woes with Koso speedos....

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
carlos fandango

Well the rev counter part not the speedo , but rev counter didnt rhyme :D
Ive had this speedo fitted for 6 months.
http://www.koso.com.tw/uploads/images/b ... 0ad701.jpg
The speedo part is spot on, but i cant get a stable reading from the rev counter no matter what i try :( ive spoken to the suppliers who sent me a different sensor thingy to try but its still the same :(

Now i seem to remember something about the SIP speedos (which i believe are made by Koso) having problems if using a wassel conversion ?

I cant understand why a Wassel conversion would make a difference :? as the sensor/ pick up wire is just wraped around the HT lead :?

So is anyone else having problems with a wassel and rev counters ? (I know " sideout" is, thanks for the reply). I just need to know if it is the wassel conversion before i send it back as faulty :( .
Russ
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
Train Driver

Sorry to sidetrack this a bit but why did you do the conversion ??
I had mine done as I was told I wouldn't believe the power of my lights after, I don't :evil:
That nice mr Diablo tried to get the SiP speedo working for me, he couldn't.

Timbo had one fitted by bedlams scooters and they got his to work
TS1 and PX stay in the garage (future barn finds) out on the GTS 300 when I go out on a scooter.
I know I’ll get there and back
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Didn't he cure Timbo's issue with a resistor type spark plug cap? Try that Carlos. Stops the High Voltage pulses interfering with the rev counter.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
carlos fandango

Train Driver wrote:Sorry to sidetrack this a bit but why did you do the conversion ??
I had mine done as I was told I wouldn't believe the power of my lights after, I don't :evil:
That nice mr Diablo tried to get the SiP speedo working for me, he couldn't.

Timbo had one fitted by bedlams scooters and they got his to work
I did it for better lights as well, i wouldnt say they are brighter and i didnt think they would be. I just didnt want them dimming when apply the brake or flickering at low rpm, and they dont now. i also wanted a better horn and the ability to run accessories. In retrospect i could have done this by just fitting a battery and rectifier :? but i thought the wassel would charge the battery quicker, which im not convinced it does :?

So it looks like only two people are having probs with the wassel and the speedos :?
Ill have to change it to a AC and a trickle charger and see if this makes any difference.
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
carlos fandango

dapper wrote:Didn't he cure Timbo's issue with a resistor type spark plug cap? Try that Carlos. Stops the High Voltage pulses interfering with the rev counter.
Yes that was the first thing i did, as it say to do it in the instructions. I even changed the cap to a resistor one :( still the same :(
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

b@11@x, thought we'd sussed it:(
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
coaster

carlos fandango wrote:
I did it for better lights as well, i wouldnt say they are brighter and i didnt think they would be. I just didnt want them dimming when apply the brake or flickering at low rpm, and they dont now. i also wanted a better horn and the ability to run accessories. In retrospect i could have done this by just fitting a battery and rectifier :? but i thought the wassel would charge the battery quicker, which im not convinced it does
I know this thread is about the Kosso rev counter but the Wassel convertion should not have any effect on your Kosso providing it can be operated from a DC supply (the SIP is a different problem). You are partly right about the lights not being brighter though, I don't recall it being said that they would be in the original posts on the subject although if an LED rear is used it will be brighter than if lit by AC and will free up enough wattage to allow the use of a decent Zenon headlamp bulb. However, as you quite rightly point out, the lack of dimming and adecent horn as well as lights that stay on when the engine cuts are reason enough. The simpler system with a half wave trickle charge will NOT charge the battery as quickly and you won't be able to wire your lights in, they would have to be AC.

Colin
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

Eden wrote:... one of the yellows out of the stator while its still a/c ...
do you regulate that at all ? the voltage there can be 30,40,50...all over the place... tachos can be sensitive to voltage variations.... although i have never tried a koso one
Eden wrote:... it mostly works.
:D
carlos fandango

Eden wrote:surely the rpm will work from one of the yellows out of the stator while its still a/c before it gets to the wassel? that how i have my koso wired and it mostly works.
Im not taking wiring tips from you :shock: ive seen inside your legshield toolbox :o a mass of wires, with blue electrical tape holding it all together :roll: :lol: :lol:

Ive wired it as per the instructions :?
carlos fandango

Eden wrote:Bodging works ;)

sent from my phone via tapatalk
Ouch :oops: :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information