TUNED AVANTI TT3 30+

Post your Lambretta dyno graphs here! But graphs & spec info only, keep the chat in the 'dyno chat' section ;o)
Darrell Taylor
Dealer
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA

One for Ron Moss (get well soon)

This is an Avanti tt3 i tuned recently and dynoed this week

spec is

225 avanti
avanti franspeed race
30mm carb
60mm 110 crank
Darrell Taylor Tuned top end(std exhaust stub/inlet stub and base gasket dimensions again)

30.41 bhp / 21.23 torque

feel free to use this link to contact me on facebook and like it(if u like it)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taylor-T ... 8819767924
Darrell Taylor
Dealer

STD................................................TUNED
4K 8BHP 11 TQ.................................7.2BHP 9.5TQ
5K 10.5BHP 11 TQ.............................10.3BHP 10.8 TQ
6K 17.1BHP 14.7 TQ..........................16BHP 14 TQ
7K 21.5BHP 15.9 TQ.........................28.2BHP 21.1 TQ
8K 14.8BHP9.8 TQ..............................30 BHP 19.6 TQ
9K ? 10BHP 6TQ EST...........................26 BHP 15.1 TQ

BETWEEN 4 AND 6 K before the franspeed comes onto pipe at 5300 its only lost approx 1/2 bhp
after that it storms off ,at 8k its 15bhp up and 11.5 tq up and makes much more at 9 than it did at 7 before
this means the extra 2000rpm overrev (20mph increase) can be either left as is for a higher top speed (if wind resistance allows) or gearing could be changed as much as 20mph less than before and still achieve the same top speed with much improved accelleration so despite having a litte less low down it will still accellerate better with shorter drops between gears.
Last edited by Darrell Taylor on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Sweet, nice one!

IMO it is long overdue for people to start really getting into the Avanti kit and exploring what it has to offer (potential), other than the standard fast touring tune that it comes with as standard. As I was involved with the drafting work for this kit, Ron was good enough to let me keep one of the pre-production kits that were cast for evaluation and testing, which leaves me in the fortunate position of having a barrel to play with. I'm playing with various configuration and tuning ideas, although not looking to push BHP up too much at the expense of torque, and am pleased to see that people are starting to dabble :)

Well done, looks good, especially considering that you're keeping certain elements at the standard sizes.

Adam

PS - Feel free to post as many photos as you like ;)
Adam_Winstone

Great details, thanks.

Over 20 BHP in standard format is certainly not to be sniffed at for a touring tune! Neither is 30 BHP @ 8K on a tuned barrel!!

Excellent stuff.

Adam
Darrell Taylor
Dealer

if you carried out a gearing change to make use of the extended overrev the results are quite amazing,ive done tests in my sprint software and the performance change and gear drops are improved no end eg geared for 80 at 6500 or geared for 80 at 8000
im quite amazed how just 1 tooth on the front vastly changes the riders view on how a scooter performs going from unhappy to over the moon
Darrell Taylor
Dealer

Adam_Winstone wrote:Sweet, nice one!

IMO it is long overdue for people to start really getting into the Avanti kit and exploring what it has to offer (potential), other than the standard fast touring tune that it comes with as standard. As I was involved with the drafting work for this kit, Ron was good enough to let me keep one of the pre-production kits that were cast for evaluation and testing, which leaves me in the fortunate position of having a barrel to play with. I'm playing with various configuration and tuning ideas, although not looking to push BHP up too much at the expense of torque, and am pleased to see that people are starting to dabble :)

Well done, looks good, especially considering that you're keeping certain elements at the standard sizes.

Adam

PS - Feel free to post as many photos as you like ;)
all 186 200 225 sized motors just cant achieve hi torque figures before they come onto pipe as all they have is there cubic capacity working for them at that rpm range (unless you make a pipe to peak at 6k)
if you build a big motor long stroke 62 + as some of your others torque 4 to 6 k range will naturally always be there as a product of cubic capacity and generally always see 15 bhp/15 tq kind of figures on std, touring and race motors in the 5k region
so i find the bigger the motor the more forgiving it is when tuned for not losing tractability
Adam_Winstone

Any more info about this one, feedback from the customer, etc?
Darrell Taylor
Dealer

yes i spoke with him and has now tried it out,reckons its better than before,be good to hear his unbiased view though

? adam how do you feel your view of your own engine has changed with the 5 speed,i ask this as the 4 speed will be long in the gears and have less gearchanges with a longer time period in each giving a lazy tourer feel,and the 5 speed although very rewarding performance wise will make you change gear more frequently, so i guess that it might give the perception as being more of a buzzy engine because it actually/factually is,or did you add an extra 5>10mph more gearing when you fitted it to alleviate this
Adam_Winstone

I ended up fitting my Cyclone to my 260 Muggy, rather than my TT3, as such I can only respond to how the gearing has changed the ride of my Muggy.

The Muggy has actually gone from 4.4 to nearly 4.6 as I didn't have a deep rear sprocket to fit with the 21 tooth front, As such, the gearing has got slightly shorter, rather than going slightly longer as many fitting the Cyclone will. On 4.4 4-speed the 260 felt like a really lazy tourer, almost like a standard SX/TV but that could simply pull in a relaxed manner to a decent cruising speed. The combination of 5-speed and slightly shorter gearing, with plenty of torque on tap, makes this feel like a racer through the gears. It feels much more lively than it did as a 4-speed.

In the new year I'll order up a deep 46 and go to the 4.3? that I had intended to try. If weather allows some progressive testing then I'll test what gearing suits and how it affects the final top end figure. Frustratingly, I'm finding that my recently fitted tacho isn't helping things much as it seems to read high and varies a great deal, which is less than ideal when you want info at a glance.

Adam
Darrell Taylor
Dealer

i thought that might be your reply ,there is a relevance to this question as i asked the owner of the avanti to drop 1 tooth off the front to take advantage of the improved overrev from the new tune and the repy i had was that its now better(more rideable ) than the standard barrell was with its 1 tooth more
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information