Varitronic flywheel

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
KCB

Hello.

Is there an alternative flywheel for a varitronic ignition.

The centre boss on mine is completely knackered and I think I will have to resort to breaking the fan off to remove the flywheel.

Is the parmakit flywheel useable or are there any other alternatives?

If so is it strong enough for an RB (the varitronic flywheel was strengthened by tig welding the fan bolts)

Thanks
tarmac tickler

mine went the same way,,, take out the boss and replace with a indian one that suits your crank from scooter restorations,, buy the kit,, boss nuts bolts washers the lot,, it fits perfectly in the hole left by the original peice of cheese but the holes dont all line up for the bolts but a bit of a fettle and all will be fine.
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

I set up a Parma kit a while back and it was exactly like the varitronic.
KCB

tarmac tickler wrote:mine went the same way,,, take out the boss and replace with a indian one that suits your crank from scooter restorations,, buy the kit,, boss nuts bolts washers the lot,, it fits perfectly in the hole left by the original peice of cheese but the holes dont all line up for the bolts but a bit of a fettle and all will be fine.
Thanks, good idea. The GP boss seems to come with rivets, did you use the Li/SX allen keys, screws and washers and did they fit on the back of the flywheel without hitting the stator without any issues?

Cheers.
T5-190

Yep made from cheese, this was from a TS1 225 running a clubman.

I think someone does a one piece boss/flywheel for this set up machined from one piece.Tino maybe, I think Sticky know who.

:::EDIT::: The other alternative is a Casa Lambretta flywheel which is basically the same ignition but the flywheel is one-piece.
tarmac tickler

Thanks, good idea. The GP boss seems to come with rivets, did you use the Li/SX allen keys, screws and washers and did they fit on the back of the flywheel without hitting the stator without any issues?

the bolts were button head allen key,, the nuts fit on the outside so no fouling of the stator
KCB

tarmac tickler wrote:mine went the same way,,, take out the boss and replace with a indian one that suits your crank from scooter restorations,, buy the kit,, boss nuts bolts washers the lot,, it fits perfectly in the hole left by the original peice of cheese but the holes dont all line up for the bolts but a bit of a fettle and all will be fine.

When you say all of the holes don't line up, do enough of them line up to get the boss central or did you have to do a lot of jiggling around to get it correct?

Also I presume you needed to locktite the nuts but did you weld them as well.

Basically what I'm asking is was yours on a tuned motor and how is it holding up with the way you fixed the nuts and bolts.

Sorry for all the daft questions.

Cheers.

Actually just thought of a not so daft question.

What do you do to hold the flywheel if you have taken away the varitronic boss with the large nut shape on it.

There are no holes to put a normal holder in once the sil boss is on there, or have you got away with holding the flywheel with a screwdriver to screw the puller in (being careful not to break the plastic fins) then using two spanners on the puller?

Cheers
Speed Demon
Dealer

I've got a Casa ignition fitted to my SX now. AFAIK this one-piece flywheel is also available as a separate item from RLC.
Get to SULK
KCB

Speed Demon wrote:I've got a Casa ignition fitted to my SX now. AFAIK this one-piece flywheel is also available as a separate item from RLC.
Do you have the whole Casa ignition or are you using the Casa flywheel with the varitronic stator etc?

Can this be done do you know?

Thanks.
Darrell Taylor
Dealer
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA

KCB wrote:

When you say all of the holes don't line up, do enough of them line up to get the boss central or did you have to do a lot of jiggling around to get it correct?

Also I presume you needed to locktite the nuts but did you weld them as well.

Basically what I'm asking is was yours on a tuned motor and how is it holding up with the way you fixed the nuts and bolts.

Sorry for all the daft questions.

Cheers.

Actually just thought of a not so daft question.

What do you do to hold the flywheel if you have taken away the varitronic boss with the large nut shape on it.

There are no holes to put a normal holder in once the sil boss is on there, or have you got away with holding the flywheel with a screwdriver to screw the puller in (being careful not to break the plastic fins) then using two spanners on the puller?

Cheers
angle grinder disc changing tools on some have a large centre hole so if you drill matching holes in the boss u could use that
feel free to use this link to contact me on facebook and like it(if u like it)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taylor-T ... 8819767924
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information