Rally

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

What is the best/easiest way to get the loom through the frame ? The gap at the front inside the frame is a joke :mrgreen: spent a couple of hours on it today with not a lot of success !
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

Use an inner cable
cgt75b

Tried that mate. :roll:
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

Put the inner cable thru, then attach some large bore cable sleeping to it and put ur loom in that then pull it thru, it's years since I had the displeasure of working on a Vespa, thnk god!
JINX

I have found that the best way is to work from front to back.
If you remove the horn and use that entrance with an outer cable sleeve, you can pass it to the rear by pushing while spinning the cable. Attach the wiring ends to the end of the outer cable and be careful in the way in which you apply the tape to connect the two. Winding it away from the rear will help it not be caught on that dreaded lip. Reaching under the tank and up into the tunnel can help it to lift over the fins there. Beer and cursing helps.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

If its the same as most early 1960's Vespas, extra long throttle cable. If you have the spade connectors already attached, the loom won't go through. The best thing to do is build your own loom, very easy and generally cheaper and better quality. I always pull through an extra electrical cable and leave it unattached at each end. This is very useful for any future additions or problems. If this still doesn't work for you, gardening wire, this is slightly less flexible and can be pushed passed and obstacles. Do you know that there is no debri or anything obstructing the wire.
Gary
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Another thing that i do is split the loom into three sections, main loom, rear brake & horn loom. This also makes it easier.
Gary
cgt75b

Thanks guys for all your advice :D I like the sound of splitting the loom down think that may be the way to go, a bit of hassle though.
Jon you are right they are a displeasure to work on especially the loom pain in the arse.
Working from the horn back that did cross my mind will have to try again :shock:

Thanks again bloody vespa's
mickymidas
Main scooter: Vespa Rally /P200

When i changed my loom in my rally with p200 engine i used a new beedspeed loom which had the lighting switch wiring already seperate and cable tied together at the front end of the loom....
i snipped the cable tie to seperate the switch wiring, making the front end of the loom thinner.....
fed a cable outer from front to rear through the horn casting ...
then taped the thinner front of the loom ( now in the petrol tank area) to the cable outer then pulled back through to the horn.....
.( might be an idea to feed cable inner from rear brake switch hole at same time & tape brake wiring to it )
then outer cable from horn up forks and and pulled lighting wiring up..
Then re cable tie switch wiring to loom.
Thats the easiest way i have found and didnt take long
2Ronnies sc.......Chuckleism is the way forward
cgt75b

Got the loom in lads thanks 4 your help :D now it's just a matter of wiring up :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information