Cyclone 5 and Mito Pipe test drive.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
giankx

Great saturday morning today.....
The cyclone arrived in October and after some alteration to Tino Sacchi kickstart shaft (too long, it catched the fisrt gear when engaging the kickstart), my friend fitted it following the clear instruction booklet that came with the gearbox package.
We shimmed it with 1mm washer using a new standrd gear selector spring.
I fitted the Cyclone on my LI 240 (race tour 240, vhsh carb, bgm ingnition with a mid-weight flywheel). At the same time i tried the VNR/Mitolambretta pipe, seen on this forum some time ago.
2012-10-15 19.18.59.jpg
2012-10-15 19.17.35.jpg
2012-10-24 20.00.52.jpg
After a brief warm up i went for a ride on the road, there was too much traffic so i shift up very slowly, but i already heard something different in the engine.....the revs never went too low after a gear shift.

Then i wanted to fully realease the quality of the gearbox, so i went for a smaller road with no traffic....i opened the throttle in second gear shifting up at about 6000 rpm, gearchanges felt so gorgeous, the engine never lose revs and i felt like driving an old Aprilia RS, in the forth gear i realised how fast i was going on that poor road conditions, and i had another gear to engage yet!!!
Gearchanges were really fast with only small movements on the handlebar, great feeling i never missed a gear!

I just went for a quick blast and came back after 20 minutes.....i didn't want to get off the Lammy, i was so excited!

When talking to a friend after his test drive, he told me that in the years he fitted variuos cylinders, carbs, ignitions, pipes, but nothing seemed so innovative like a close-ratio 5 speed gearbox in the scooter world.
mickdale

whats the pipe like - ?

cheers
mick
giankx

I'll be fair.....i was too much concentrated about the Cyclone and didn't care the pipe performances.
I was astonished when started the engine....it was so quiet!! Quieter than a original pipe!
The engine was shifting up so lovely but i revved it only till 7000 rpm. I think the pipe shuold be involved in the quality ride described above!
On the next weeks i had i'll dyno the engine to compare this last pipe, to the previous and to a Gori 50mm pipe the didn't had the performances i expected.
mickdale

giankx wrote:I'll be fair.....i was too much concentrated about the Cyclone and didn't care the pipe performances.
I was astonished when started the engine....it was so quiet!! Quieter than a original pipe!
The engine was shifting up so lovely but i revved it only till 7000 rpm. I think the pipe shuold be involved in the quality ride described above!
On the next weeks i had i'll dyno the engine to compare this last pipe, to the previous and to a Gori 50mm pipe the didn't had the performances i expected.
could you please let us know the findings of the comparison as i am VERY interested in the exhaust myself
much appreciated
Mick
giankx

mickdale wrote:
giankx wrote:I'll be fair.....i was too much concentrated about the Cyclone and didn't care the pipe performances.
could you please let us know the findings of the comparison as i am VERY interested in the exhaust myself
much appreciated
Mick
Till i'm going to dyno the engine, you could ask to Mitolambretta.it if they have already done some comparison with the pipes.
Be sure that as soon as i have the graph i'll publish them!
mickdale

giankx

Had a quick blast this morning and despite wind and bad weather the pipe pulls really well from 4500 rpm to 8000.
Can't compare with the previuos pipes becaus with the cyclone fitted, now the engine is always pulling through the gears.
In the next days i hope to dyno the engine...
giankx

I've dynoed the Lammy today.
On the first run with just the new exhaust, it gave 2 cv more than the previous pipe and 2,5 cv more than the 50mm Gori.
On the second run after setting up the carburation, it gave 3,5 cv and 1nm of torque more than the previuos pipe and something about 4 cv more than the Gori.
On the ride back home it seems a totaly different engine...now the pipe pulls till 8000 rpm and with 5 speed box it's very simple to reach high speeds.
On the graph you can see only the hp curve of the first run and the second one after setting the carburatoration.
I'm sorry for the quality of the graph, the ink in the printer was low....

23,2cv @7099 rpm
25nm @6300 rpm
2012-11-14 11.24.44.jpg
2012-11-14 14.12.26.jpg
Dimitrios_231

Fantastico ;)
Well done.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

giankx wrote: 23,2cv @7099 rpm
25nm @6300 rpm
What's that in £sd