Which kit?

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ArmandTanzarian

This has probably been done to death (I may even have posted this before and then forgotten) and so I apologise in advance.

I have a P200 engine that I've been wanting to upgrade for ages and now I've finally got the cash. What I want is a tourer that will be super reliable and maintain a speed that won't end up with me being killed every time I venture onto a motorway. At the moment, hills, headwinds and overtaking are a complete nightmare.

I have to admit that I know very little about Vespas having always owned Lambrettas but from the research I've done it would seem that there are four or five main options: Malossi, Polini, Pinasco, SIP-GS or just port the standard barrel.

The Malossi is out because its more of a screamer than a tourer but what would you all recommend. The engine needs a rebuild anyway and so its all got to come apart no matter what I get.

I'm tending toward either getting the standard or SIP barrel ported or the Pinasco, but I've no real firm evidence to base that choice on. Whatever I get it will have either a Sito Plus or a SIP Road pipe and a standard carb.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
junkyard
Main scooter: SX230 TS1

Harry Barlow Stage 4 sounds like what ya need,Standard barrel ported to a stage 4 tune,mines a 218 using one of Harrys cranks/piston,Im using a standard carb that his fettled with and a Revoler exhaust,Approx 15.5 bhp and it pulls really well it aint no screamer.nice fast road tourer.Hope this Helps ;)
PS Harry also dose this in 200 form,Standard crank etc.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there`s a 90% probability you`ll get it wrong.
fraserp200e
Main scooter: 1988 MotoVespa TX200

I'm just waiting to get my standard barrel back from Harry Barlow. Standard barrel (rebored due to to a worn bore) and ported and Harry Barlow piston. Once I get it fitted I'll post up and let you know what it's like. I am after the same - a bulletproof tourer. I've heard nothing but good things about the Harry Barlow stage 4.
1983 Vespa PX125
1984 MotoVespa P200E
1988 MotoVespa TX200
ArmandTanzarian

How much does HB charge and what sort of waiting list is there?
C*NTSPEED
Main scooter: vespa ts 125/200

£190 exchange could be waiting months just depends on some engines they can be a right chew to set up correctly ive known of 4 scoots that have given up tring
id go polini get diablo to do the fettling job done :ninja:
GEMINI S.C.
BLACK WIDDA'S S.C.
ArmandTanzarian

C*NTSPEED wrote:£190 exchange could be waiting months just depends on some engines they can be a right chew to set up correctly ive known of 4 scoots that have given up tring
id go polini get diablo to do the fettling job done :ninja:
I suspected that it might be a long wait. That may knock it on the head.

I know nothing at all about Polini, what are they like? I recall reading somewhere that using a Malossi piston to make a "Pallosi" was recommended
C*NTSPEED

nah no need to do that these days they do a grand sport piston diablo is yer man when it comes to polinis
get him rung up!!
GEMINI S.C.
BLACK WIDDA'S S.C.
fraserp200e
Main scooter: 1988 MotoVespa TX200

C*NTSPEED wrote: depends on some engines they can be a right chew to set up correctly ive known of 4 scoots that have given up tring
What's been the issue with they engines mate? I thought they were pretty much plug 'n' play (after adjusting the timing and sorting the jetting :freak: ) Is that not the case??
1983 Vespa PX125
1984 MotoVespa P200E
1988 MotoVespa TX200
dopeshots
Xbox live gamer tag: rms789
Main scooter: GP150

Al at Diablo is ya man for Vespa engines. I have a polini 208 on a std crank & std carb with a taffy pipe. Bolted on it gives 15.5bhp on Diablos Dyno and pulls all day long.

I also have a Malossi 210 that is ported with a 30mm delorto, JL RH pipe, race crank, reed valve and it puts out 23bhp on Diablos Dyno. Very fast can sit on motorways at 75mph all day and can over take everyone I need to. Despite what people say its great for touring...

:fb:
C*NTSPEED

fraserp200e wrote:
C*NTSPEED wrote: depends on some engines they can be a right chew to set up correctly ive known of 4 scoots that have given up tring
What's been the issue with they engines mate? I thought they were pretty much plug 'n' play (after adjusting the timing and sorting the jetting :freak: ) Is that not the case??
one lad in lancashire could not get his (that i sold him btw) to work did timing and jetting it would just not have it another one took an eternity to set up not all engines work exactly the same one set up might be ok for one motor but way out on another
GEMINI S.C.
BLACK WIDDA'S S.C.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information