Whats wrong with my forks

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
muffster
Xbox live gamer tag: muffinator233
Main scooter: LI 125 S3

Ok, MOT time today after a restoration onm my S3 LI 125.
Thought all was going well until the MOT man tells me that my front wheel is off centre and it appears that the forks are bent.
It looks obvious when he pointed it out, the front wheel doesn't seem to be sat squarely in the forks, it is kind of offset. And so the front and rear wheels are out of alignmet.
So i took the forks out and put the wheel and hub into another set of forks and its the same. The gap between the wheel and forks is different at either side. Looking at both sets of forks side by side and they are the same.
Also checked father in law's LI and his is the same too. The front wheel is kind of off set from centre.
So whats going on? Is this how they are set up or have we got 3 set of duff forks.
Is there any checks i can do.

Many thanks.
RICSPEED

quick question before i go indepth .. if you loosen the wheel nuts ..does it still sit pissed ??
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
muffster

Not sure about that mate, will have to check tomorrow.
Iv'e got another set of forks in at the minute and it still looks slightly offset.
If the top of the wheel should be at the 12 o clock position, then my wheel just sits slightly past it, just past 12.
Same with my in law's S3 LI.
All bearings and buffers in the forks are new.
I can't find anything wrong but if it won't sit right i can't get it past the MOT man!

I don't think you could acually make it out if i posted up a picture.

Cheers.

Did i put this in the right forum?
RICSPEED

muffster wrote:Did i put this in the right forum?
in this section you mean ? yes fine

there's 3 things you need to check although new rubbers should settle

you can check that both link bolts are in line .. you need a straight 12mm (i think please check) rod/bar .. if that passes through then all is well there

the second thing you can check is that both links are a matched pair so far as the lower area that comes in contact with the lower rubbers is the same height

thirdly but not as critical is the depth of the spring stop inside the fork leg being a missmatch

just to reassure you slightly i had three pairs of gp forks before i found a good set but it seems to me its indian forks that tend to have the above faults
muffster

I will check the link bolts are in line but need to get the links out first.
Im sure that the links are a matched pair and they are Italian. Doesnt mean that they're not damanged though.

P.S. Is there a Lambretta spares shop on the A64 going towards Scarbough

Thanks.
RICSPEED

muffster wrote: Is there a Lambretta spares shop on the A64 going towards Scarborough
yes mate ..rayspeed
carlos fandango

muffster wrote:Ok, MOT time today after a restoration onm my S3 LI 125.
Thought all was going well until the MOT man tells me that my front wheel is off centre and it appears that the forks are bent.
It looks obvious when he pointed it out, the front wheel doesn't seem to be sat squarely in the forks, it is kind of offset. And so the front and rear wheels are out of alignmet.
So i took the forks out and put the wheel and hub into another set of forks and its the same. The gap between the wheel and forks is different at either side. Looking at both sets of forks side by side and they are the same.
Also checked father in law's LI and his is the same too. The front wheel is kind of off set from centre.
So whats going on? Is this how they are set up or have we got 3 set of duff forks.
Is there any checks i can do.

Many thanks.
What do you mean by off set ? the wheel not up right ? or the wheel parallel to the forks but not central in the forks ?
If its the former, as Ric said check links, bushes and buffers etc.
If its the latter, is it a drum brake or outboard disc ? if its a drum check assembly (half nuts) if its an out board disc ? they all do ( bigger gap kickstart side) !! some more than others, sterling and scootRS ones :twisted: solution ................?????? ive taken one of mine apart and had it re machined to get it central (nearly).
Russ
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
muffster

I mean its not central in the forks. Its slightly tilted over to the right.
Its a drum assembly.

Looks like im of to Rayspeed tomorrow then.

Thanks.
carlos fandango

muffster wrote:I mean its not central in the forks. Its slightly tilted over to the right.
Its a drum assembly.

Looks like im of to Rayspeed tomorrow then.

Thanks.
Right , so its not parallel in the forks. are they the original links ? if they are id suspect the link/fork buffers may be incorrectly fitted ie. one side has the top buffer fitted in the bottom and vice versa, and the other side is correctly fitted .
The top and bottom buffers are a different thickness.
Who rebuilt them ?
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
muffster

Ok i will check that out.
They are the original links and i took them to a shop to put a new buffer kit in because my link compressor was crap.
It wasn't cheap either!!

Cheers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information