t5 kegra 190 or malossi 172

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
soulboy
Main scooter: t5 172 and a bit more

any body give me the run down on the kegra ..is it straight bolt on and go expected top speed bhp etc and how do they compare with the tried and trusted 172 also are there any other off the shelf kits cheers
roadrunnerian

hi m8,
there is a few posts on the 190 kit i've post some up asking the same questions, the kegra is a straight bolt on kit you just send your malossi kit in part x they will take knackered ones as well.the power band is very narrow and is high up the rev range.JB tuning do a kit my mate has one with a reed valve very fast but blows his clutchs to pieces.Chisel speed and MBD do them as well but the casings need doing.why don't you send your head and barrell to get them ported. at the moment i have a spare malossi kit in two minds what to do myself you could get a spare px 125 engine and go quattrini ;) hope you get some more replies ride safe ian
soulboy

so your saying its only malossi barrals they exchange and not standered
Bofs
Main scooter: Zundapp Betta 500

From the Kegra website

T5 190 YAMAHA KIT (KEGRA SPECIAL) (EXCHANGE HEAD AND CYLINDER REQUIRED - MALOSSI OR PINASCO ONLY) ................ £325.00

Google "T5 Kegra 190" there`s loads of info from various forums about these kits
Muffspeed....no muff too tuff
Bad Samaritans SC

1957 Zundapp Betta 500 Auto
1966 Motovespa Sprint 210 Polossi
1960 Lambretta Cutdown 205 Project
soulboy

well thats fuked it as i only got standered barral
lockman69

I had a JB Tuning Suzuki conversion/ MB Reed valve heavily welded and ported cases, 30mm PHBH, JL RH pipe, banded clutch and Augusto....The thing was a total animal cost a fortune to build and would pull over 10000 rpm and GPS into the 80’s with a fat bloke bulk up right.

It would hit 6500 rpm and just take off like a rocket and as hard as I tried I couldn’t break it.

However my advice would be if this is your main or only scooter, this kit probably isn’t for you, fuel consumption was horrendous and needed a long range tank and fuel pump and at low speeds and around town it was almost un-ride able, only once the power kicked in at 6000-6500 Rpm was worth all the money it cost.....Now sold
soulboy

i had the full dogs bollax mbd yam conversion with the rd 350 reedvalve and all the goodies with wiseco piston ts eater but this time i just want a fast torquey tourer and thought the kegra was the one ..i cant understand why its malossi barrols only and you cant get pinasco any more else that would be my number 1 choice LOVE THEM KITS MY TOP END IS LIKE NEW
soulboy

just spoke to kegra and stoke top ends are ok to exchange (genuine)
lockman69

soulboy wrote: torquey T5

Is that even possible :?: ;)

A good T5 tourer imho would be a standard T5 with one of those horrid shito plus pipes :D
Mongo
Main scooter: Vespa Rally 200

Have you thought about going down the Polini barrel route ? Alan at Diablo built me a Polini 175cc motor which is very torquey. It is a polini barrel bored to 64mil, a suzuki ts 185 piston, standard carb with 135 main jet, standard flowed crank but uses an eccentric crankpin to increase the stroke. With a taffspeed pipe that gave nearly 20 bhp and over 16 lb/ft of torque. I know that's hardly a bolt on and will need somebody who knows what they're doing to build it, but I'm 6' 3" and 20+ stone and it will do 70mph 'easily' and isn't peaky in the slightest. ( There's a dyno of it in the vespa dyno section on here.) Hope that helps.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information