FAG NU2205E - but made in India!!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

After deciding to replace my Magneto side bearing and liking to buy local if I can (and if it's not too prohibitively expensive), I went to one of the local bearing shops (FAG agents among others).
"Have you got any NU2205E bearings" I asked and got an afirmative "we have those from FAG in a normal and C3 clearance" Great in stock and very reasonably priced!
So the nice gentlemen disapeared out back to get my bearing and came back with the usual red FAG box - BUT it said "India" on the box. Opened up the box and it said India on the bearing as well! :o
I was assured that it was a high quality bearing and that FAG produced a lot of bearings in India now.
I decided to wait on my purchase untill I'd done a bit more research, so - what is the considered opinion on FAG bearings made in their Indian plant, does anyone have any experience?
I'll be interested in your comments
warts
Main scooter: honda

This is part of a huge potential problem. With counterfeiting rife, the things that a brand represent go out the window. "Brands" were invented to reassure the consumer that the product was safe and reliable. Now we don't know what they stand for, in terms of quality, reliability, durability, fitness for purpose etc etc.
Its all one of the unforeseen consequences of the GATT, intended to bolster a struggling US economy, and a failure to police infringment of copyright, trademark and patents.
Just reading today about SnapOn. From now on not marking their products "Made in America", while insisting they still are. Until their "Global marketing strategy" indicates an offshore manufacturing policy is appropriate. So we know where the problem originates when the sh!t hits the fan.
I would take a chance on the Indian as they are an emerging hi-tec economy and have improved quality compared to some of the low value stuff for scooters made previously or you could hope that a Japanese/German marked one isn't a forgery from somewhere really dubious.
Its poo.
ArmandTanzarian

warts wrote: Just reading today about SnapOn. From now on not marking their products "Made in America", while insisting they still are. Until their "Global marketing strategy" indicates an offshore manufacturing policy is appropriate.
And when Western civillisation collapses into economic chaos and mass unemployment those that took such decisions will retreat to their gated communities, call the (privatised) armed response teams and count their money. Want to know the future? Go to Detroit.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

I should make it clear that it had all the usual FAG markings on the bearing as well as "India" and that this was a reputable supplier.
And when I asked for comments it was more on the "fitness for use" rather than the politcs of world trade policies and offshore manufacturing. :lol:
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

If you're satisfied it's genuine and they're happy to put their name on it then what does it matter where the plant is? They're honest about the origin and you have the retailers recommendation, that's their business and reputation on the line there too.

I think too many people make the assumption Indian = rubbish when that can't be the case for everything.

I've had crap stuff made in Italy and made in the UK.

These days you pays you money and takes your chance.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
warts
Main scooter: honda

I think what Armand and myself are trying to say is that it is becoming increasing difficult to determine the "quality" and suitability of any product. The question of "fitness for use" becomes indeterminate and unanswerable.
ArmandTanzarian

warts wrote:I think what Armand and myself are trying to say is that it is becoming increasing difficult to determine the "quality" and suitability of any product. The question of "fitness for use" becomes indeterminate and unanswerable.
I was making the wider point too but you're right. Finding the origin of anything is hard now. Remember all the fuss when it turned out that "German" scooter parts manufacturer BGM had most, if not all of their stuff made in the Far East. Both Piaggio and Triumph have major components made in China. As do BMW, Volkswagen and a host of other prestige "European" manufacturers.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
rocho68
Dealer

Minority wrote:After deciding to replace my Magneto side bearing and liking to buy local if I can (and if it's not too prohibitively expensive), I went to one of the local bearing shops (FAG agents among others).
"Have you got any NU2205E bearings" I asked and got an afirmative "we have those from FAG in a normal and C3 clearance" Great in stock and very reasonably priced!
So the nice gentlemen disapeared out back to get my bearing and came back with the usual red FAG box - BUT it said "India" on the box. Opened up the box and it said India on the bearing as well! :o
I was assured that it was a high quality bearing and that FAG produced a lot of bearings in India now.
I decided to wait on my purchase untill I'd done a bit more research, so - what is the considered opinion on FAG bearings made in their Indian plant, does anyone have any experience?
I'll be interested in your comments
Hi , i happen to have worked in india for several years within there automotive industry , i have seem both the worst and the best practice and believe me there is not a cat in hells chance that i would fit indian bearings into an expensive engine , i found that when i watched over them then the work was good but turn your back and corners will be cut as i found out on multi million pound machining plants that i was overseeing , in the end we had to transfer all safety critical parts back to the eu as we could not take the chance , so if the so called best engineers of indian automotive couldnt do it then theres no way i would fit back street bearings into any scooter , thats just my opinion but i speak with genuine knowledge of the industry !!!! :o
soulsurfer

I would like to think that the QA of FAG, BMW, VW, Piaggio, Triumph etc. would stand for something and that they'd be carrying out enough checks to ensure their reputation stays intact as far as the quality of the product with their name on it is concerned.
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
tha83
Main scooter: SX 2something

Interesting to read this as I have just sent the following email to my local bearing shop as I'm building 2 TS1's and a TV 175. I will see the response.

Can I get a quote on the following:

Seals

22-32-5.5 x3
25-42-6 x3
33-52-6 x3
32-45-6 x3
33-50-6 x3 (FPM preferred, AS or RP minimum)

Bearings

6305-c3 x3 (RS or 2RS is ok to substitute)
NU205 x1 (Plastic cage or high load)
NU2205 x2 (Plastic cage or high load)
16-22-12 x3
6004 x3
20-24-10 x3
24-28-10 X4

I would prefer the following brands: SKF,FAG,INA,Torrington, NSK or RIV. I am not interested in off brands from the far east, India or Eastern Europe. Feel free to call if you have questions.

Sincerely, Jim Heywood
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information