Accident Repair

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
TheSeeker

Hi Folks

I had a crash last week. I ran into the back of a car at some traffic lights. It was at quite a low speed but there is some damage to my scooter.

I'm slowly taking it apart to find out what I need to replace. The mudguard and leg shields are damaged and I have found new ones on eBay. The forks are bent but the frame looks ok and is within the measurements of the alignment checks in Stickies book.

I have a couple of questions.

Will GP forks fit in a Series 3 Li chrome ring frame? You can get GP forks everywhere but specific Li forks are much harder to find. I hope I can use GP ones.

Is there a close match to the original "Bianco Nuovo 8059" colour in modern car paints? I can't afford a total respray so I would like to find the closest match in aerosol car paint.

Best regards

Ben

PS Remember that it doesn't matter how fast you make your engine, it's useless if you can't stop in time :shock:
pedGY

Sorry to hear about your accident, hope no one was hurt.Can only help on the paint qua=estion as my LI Special is painted in 8059. This colour is still available from your local Lechler paint supplier, don't know where you are in the country but Humberside Paints in Grimsby (01472 344093) will fill a 400ml Aerosol for about £10.00

Regards

ped
firekdp

GP forks are too short for an LI frame, is there any chance yours can be staightened?
paulmgreen
Main scooter: Lambretta Group 4 Race 200

GP forks are shorter than Li!
YouTuve Vlog channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEhrgL ... vY_4Px2WTg

www.JPPLambretta.co.uk

Sponsors Replay Scooters JPPLambretta
shocky

if you fill your user profile in correctly and state were in the uk you are someone near you might be able to help :evil:
i would suggest a guy i know who has a frame and fork jig but you might live 100,s of miles from him in which case id be wasting my time unless you wanna post it
you can post forks for about £10 each way http://www.interparcel.com/quote/courier-quote2.php
john is also a sprayer so might be able to help there put a pic of the damaged forks up remember if your buying from ebay those forks could be fcucked as well and there are several differant types of S3 forks some of which will not fit your frame
so as i said before help us to help you by filling in ALL your details
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
TheSeeker

Thanks for the info folks. I will keep trawling eBay for some Li forks. I don't think they could be straightened as the main bend is right above lower bearing sleeve, bending it back would probably weaken the area too much. It also looks like the forks themselves are both bent just above the tops of the springs.

Ped - Nobody hurt but me (broken nose, stitches in my chin as my head went through the back window of the car - time to reconsider the value of an open face helmet). Thanks for the tip, I'm in Brussels. I've found a car paint place here in the yellow pages. I will check to see if they know the Lechler codes. Otherwise I will ring the place you mention and see if they could post a couple of cans over. I was hoping that an existing colour (e.g. "Volkswagen Signal White") would be a close enough match as I doubt I can really get Lechler paint made up in cans over here.

Shocky - Sorry about that. I'm in Brussels, Belgium. A bit too far away to make it worthwhile sending big parts back and forth.

I hope I can get it all back together in time for EuroLambretta!

Best regards

Ben
shocky

you could buy the gp forks and have the top of you LI ones welded on to get the exact lenght you want its a proper job if the forks are sleaved but remember gp forks have clip/push in bump rubbers im trying to find the fork lenght details for you unless anyone else has them
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Fruitjuice

Sorry to hear about the accident.
Give Sam 'Lambrettafinder' in Rumst a call, he might be able to help you out with a set of Li-forks...
Alternatively, a friend of mine goes to Engeland for his job about once a month, maybe he can pick up a set of forks somewhere if necessary...
Or if you find a chaep set of GP-forks I can extend the tube if you want, but look for some Li-ones first. I'm in Gent, I'm a friend of John McKeever...
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming: "WOW, WHAT A RIDE"
shocky

Fruitjuice wrote:Sorry to hear about the accident.
Give Sam 'Lambrettafinder' in Rumst a call, he might be able to help you out with a set of Li-forks...
Alternatively, a friend of mine goes to Engeland for his job about once a month, maybe he can pick up a set of forks somewhere if necessary...
Or if you find a chaep set of GP-forks I can extend the tube if you want, but look for some Li-ones first. I'm in Gent, I'm a friend of John McKeever...
so you guys are about 50kms apart :?: did you know of each other before
shocky

this has been lifted from another site hope it helps
FORK STEM LENGTHS - all measurements are approx and are taken with the lower bearing track removed

Italian Series 3+ GP - has speedo/front brake cable support as seperate piece - also has cut out for headset clamp at the side of the thread (in line with front wheel)

Chrome ring
From bearing track seat to centre line of steering stop = 361mm
From bearing track seat to bottom of thread = 413mm
From bearing track seat to top of fork stem = 467mm

Non chrome ring
From bearing track seat to centre line of steering stop = 355mm
From bearing track seat to bottom of thread = 405mm
From bearing track seat to top of fork stem = 458mm

TV 200 - Chrome ring
From bearing track seat to bottom of thread = 413mm
From bearing track seat to top of fork stem = 467mm

GP
From bearing track seat to centre line of steering stop = 330mm
From bearing track seat to bottom of thread = 380mm
From bearing track seat to top of fork stem = 438mm

Italian Series2 - has welded on "loop" for speedo cable/front brake support - also has the cut out for the headset clamp bolt at the rear of the thread (at 180 degree to front wheel)

TV175 S2
From bearing track seat to bottom of thread = 412mm
From bearing track seat to top of fork stem = 462mm

LI 150 S2
From bearing track seat to centre line of steering stop = 359mm
From bearing track seat to bottom of thread = 407
From bearing track seat to top of fork stem = 462

Spanish

JET 200 -Large damper type - have single damper stud of 9mm diameter welded to single plate at top of fork leg. Also has cut out for headset clamp at the side of the thread (in line with front wheel)

From bearing track seat to centre line of steering stop = 358
From bearing track seat to bottom of thread = 405mm
From bearing track seat to top of fork stem = 460mm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information