Messing about with a Gilera Runner

Anything related to Lambretta or Vespa Scooters fitted with LC, Motorcycle and/or Auto engines!
Rich_T
Dealer
Main scooter: Li Special

Not fitted to a frame yet but I guess where you're coming from is the daft pantograph linkage arrangement that Runners have.

I pick up the laser cuts for a new linkage on Friday. When this is welded together there is plenty of space for the PV, two less axel bushes to wear (so less play) and more of the load goes onto the outboard rubber mountings so the main large engine silent block should last a bit longer.

Maybe there is something I missed, but for the life of me I can't understand why a linkage like that isn't available. If it works out I'll put it on the market or sure.

E type, it has taken ages to do these. I wouldn't want to do anymore but I'm certain I can put you in contact with someone to iron liner and re-port your barrel with a DT175 piston. If the top of my head it would be about £190 but time is the biggest factor
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Rich.... you sure are a crazy mutha!
WINTERMODEL150
Main scooter: lambretta ld auto

Also the carb angles different , I run a 172 a.c. rolling nut in my 1956 ld
and I'm always looking for more power.

Bloody lovely bit of kit tho .

Dean
deanncaz
noob

hi rich got ur txt today i cant wait to get this on my bike an see what it can do alot i hope lol :) ...... dean
Rich_T
Dealer

Wintermodel: The carb is in a different position al together, cylinder mounted not case. This means the helmet locker will have to be removed but this is no biggy as there will be loads of testing to get this right.

Dean: The mechanics is nearly done but don't under estimate the amount development left to do. building it back up and getting it to fire and run should be relatively quick (a long afternoon or so). Working out the best settings for the PV, jetting and getting the whole thing to co-ordinate on song is going to be the devil in the detail.

It's going to take a lot of riding and progressive tinkering to work it all out. When that is done we can launch into the remaining two as the test bed will have shown the way. Probably need to look at your carb too, I understand dellortos a lot better and have heaps of jets and spares.

Will post some pictures up on Friday evening
e type

E type, it has taken ages to do these. I wouldn't want to do anymore

if you do i will put my name down for 1 now :) how many would you need to do to make them cast in a small batch as i bet im not the only 1 who wouldnt mind 1 .... :) ive pm d you about the rebore job :D
Rich_T
Dealer

I picked up the barrel today and it is pretty nice stuff, in fact we're all buzzing to get the engine built and fired up. Just waiting for Eden to clear the pictures.

We worked out the price if we had to make these barrels this way again which is a whopping £1,063 for cylinder, reed,manifold,piston and second hand power valve parts (not cheap and to be honest not not fussed to do it again either).

If the kit does produce the type of performance we are looking for (which I described in one of the earlier posts) there is a possibility we might combine two projects together. This would be an iron, liquid cooled, reed valve, Power valve cylinder casting that would be the common "cope and drag" for a runner kit as well as a production group 6 Lambretta cylinder. The internal core patterns would be different but the outside shape would be the same with the same PV and reed etc. The initial estimates are about £670 for the runner variant which also includes brand new PV parts and the special frame linkage. I need to be confident of the uptake before putting down tooling so send me a PM and if you know anyone into their runners then point them in the direction of this topic.
Wayne Miller
Main scooter: Vespa 50 Special (Rotax Proto)

Rich_T wrote:I picked up the barrel today and it is pretty nice stuff, in fact we're all buzzing to get the engine built and fired up. Just waiting for Eden to clear the pictures.

We worked out the price if we had to make these barrels this way again which is a whopping £1,063 for cylinder, reed,manifold,piston and second hand power valve parts (not cheap and to be honest not not fussed to do it again either).

If the kit does produce the type of performance we are looking for (which I described in one of the earlier posts) there is a possibility we might combine two projects together. This would be an iron, liquid cooled, reed valve, Power valve cylinder casting that would be the common "cope and drag" for a runner kit as well as a production group 6 Lambretta cylinder. The internal core patterns would be different but the outside shape would be the same with the same PV and reed etc. The initial estimates are about £670 for the runner variant which also includes brand new PV parts and the special frame linkage. I need to be confident of the uptake before putting down tooling so send me a PM and if you know anyone into their runners then point them in the direction of this topic.
Looking forward to seeing the pics and hearing the results. Ive been following this thread with interest. Keep up the good work Rich ;)
Stay tuned..............
Rich_T
Dealer

Here you go.

shocky

Rich_T wrote:Not fitted to a frame yet but I guess where you're coming from is the daft pantograph linkage arrangement that Runners have.

I pick up the laser cuts for a new linkage on Friday. When this is welded together there is plenty of space for the PV, two less axel bushes to wear (so less play) and more of the load goes onto the outboard rubber mountings so the main large engine silent block should last a bit longer.

Maybe there is something I missed, but for the life of me I can't understand why a linkage like that isn't available. If it works out I'll put it on the market or sure.

E type, it has taken ages to do these. I wouldn't want to do anymore but I'm certain I can put you in contact with someone to iron liner and re-port your barrel with a DT175 piston. If the top of my head it would be about £190 but time is the biggest factor
the linkage is a pain in the butt and is the same on the dragster and very similar to that of the GTS, i wondered if something like your new linkage might be a winner on the GTS as im sure there would be a big market for it ?
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information