jammed cranck

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
L4Lambretta

Hi,

Went to start my lammy today, but kickstart feels jammed -more like it's heavily gummed up. Rode it round yesterday no probs. Before that last ridden on 'Black Saturday' (I'm in Melbourne) -it briefly siezed when there was a heat burst. (It was 47.5C when I was
out.

I'm guessing the barrels siezed, but i find it strange it was ok yesterday. Could severe 'gumminess' be a sympton of something else?

cheers
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

if it was OK when you last rode it then its not seized, as this can only happen due to heat/ lack of lubrication when running.

It sounds like something may be wrong with the chain/ kick start area possibly. Alternatively a broken ring caught in a port?

Before stripping down the crankcase, try getting it into gear and pushing the bike backwards briefly- this may "unjam" it, but I fear that a strip down will be needed.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Chutney Brownlove

Sound like the kickstaft shaft may have bent inside the chaincase to me.
L4Lambretta

Thanks guys,

I don't have many mechanical skills, but i have to start somewhere. I think your probably right -it does feel like a kickstart issue, but still i'm just guessing,

L
bristolmod

we can always pop round to help......................... ;)
Scootering since 1968.
RBG

bristolmod wrote:we can always pop round to help......................... ;)
Cup of Tea & a chocolate biscuit! :lol:
bristolmod

............and the return air fare (I turn left at the top of the air bridge BTW :shock: )

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
shocky

L4Lambretta wrote:Hi,

Went to start my lammy today, but kickstart feels jammed -more like it's heavily gummed up. Rode it round yesterday no probs. Before that last ridden on 'Black Saturday' (I'm in Melbourne) -it briefly siezed when there was a heat burst. (It was 47.5C when I was
out.

I'm guessing the barrels siezed, but i find it strange it was ok yesterday. Could severe 'gumminess' be a sympton of something else?

cheers
id take the plug out and rock the scoot backwards and forward with it in second gear if it turns over then the problem is further back even if it doesnt it still could be under the chaincase its easier to have the side case of than the cylinder so id check there first
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
L4Lambretta

If you want to come over and help, ride your bloody bikes! But thanks for the advice, will try the tips. It's rolling in gear, clutch in, but kickstart still jammed,

thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information