Sprocket choice help needed.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
bizzly
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Hi, I'm building a new TS1 225 engine and I'm looking at using a Li 150 gearbox, but not sure on what sprocket combination to use. I have had a look at the gearing calculator but aint got a clue on whats what and all the jargon.
I will be using a Taffspeed touring pipe and it will be used for riding 2 up occasionally. I'm about 15 stone and the other half is about 9 stone, so it will be like wanting to pull an elephant :lol:
Any help much appreciated
Bizz

ps.....if you dont think that gearbox will work, I could always use something different.
camel

well 16x46 gives 4.8 which is what i use one up....may just do it.....but that combined weight may want somethin more like 5.0 ratio...maybe a 16x47......or 5.2 which is std 15x46......what sprockets are at your desposal before you part with any cash?
bizzly

camel wrote:well 16x46 gives 4.8 which is what i use one up....may just do it.....but that combined weight may want somethin more like 5.0 ratio...maybe a 16x47......or 5.2 which is std 15x46......what sprockets are at your desposal before you part with any cash?
None at the moment.....just the gearbox. I have a 15 tooth front sprocket along with a Li 150 gearbox and a SX 200 gearbox (took that out of my other engine as I was always having to change down to 3rd to travel in head wind etc)
camel

well the sx200 is 4.8........so if you go 16x46 with the li150 box its going to be the same ratio......but your running a taff pipe on the ts1....dont know wot was on your other engine....this governs its torque amongst other things.....and really should be pulling 4.8
ok......your cheapest route for 4.8 is obviously to use the sx box with 15x46 as you already have this
to run 5.2 you have the li box with 15x46...
anythin inbetween your going to have to spend some cash....ie 16tooth front sprocket....and you may need a chain....
with 46crownwheel.........if you go a 47 thats inbetween the 4.8 and the 5.2.....
personally id use the cheapest options first....
Muttley McLadd

Lots of considerations..
Do you ride it two up occasionally, or always ride it two up, but only ride it occasionally?
Is your barrel tuned for anything in particular? Or is it standard?

Are you going up past fifteen stone? Or coming back down via fifteen stone?

Do you want an engine you need to sit at 7000 revs to be getting anywhere?

Are you prepared to not get the gearing right the first time, and keep whipping the side off to change it?

My 2c.. I'd get someone that knows what they're doing to get their b@5t@rd file in your barrel. Liberate a bit of torque. Pop a half decent 30 mil carb on it and put 4.6 gearing in. You might be changing down now and then. Big deal.. your third will be higher than some 'tuned by a pro' engines' fourth gears. I don't know what a Taffspeed touring pipe is. Does it need 190+ degrees of exhaust timing to make it work?
The last TS I had ran 4.6 perfectly - DJ copy/Micron exhaust. It was fine two up too. Admittedly, I wasn't fifteen stone at the time. My GT186 pulls it fine too (now).

If you're two up all the time, you might be better looking at selling your TS bits and bobs and having a word with Ron about a Supertune Avanti.
CakeAndArseParty
bizzly

Cheers camel.... I am running one scoot with a TS with a Franspeed Race pipe and that has a 19/46 with an Indian gp 200 gearbox. I ride that solo and I'm happy with that. The other scoot has a TS with a Taffy pipe and that also runs a 19/46 with an Indian gp 200 gearbox. I ride this one 1 and 2 up....runs well. I was just going to try using the Li 150 gearbox in this new build as I have heard good results from them, but was curious as to what sprockets I would need. Cost isnt an option as I have accounted for it in the overall cost and if I would be better using another gp 200 box because it would be better, then I would buy one. I dont have a clutch sprocket yet as I need to get one along with a clutch and chain and whatnot.
bizzly

Muttley McLadd wrote:Lots of considerations..
Do you ride it two up occasionally, or always ride it two up, but only ride it occasionally?
Is your barrel tuned for anything in particular? Or is it standard?

Are you going up past fifteen stone? Or coming back down via fifteen stone?

Do you want an engine you need to sit at 7000 revs to be getting anywhere?

Are you prepared to not get the gearing right the first time, and keep whipping the side off to change it?

My 2c.. I'd get someone that knows what they're doing to get their b@5t@rd file in your barrel. Liberate a bit of torque. Pop a half decent 30 mil carb on it and put 4.6 gearing in. You might be changing down now and then. Big deal.. your third will be higher than some 'tuned by a pro' engines' fourth gears. I don't know what a Taffspeed touring pipe is. Does it need 190+ degrees of exhaust timing to make it work?
The last TS I had ran 4.6 perfectly - DJ copy/Micron exhaust. It was fine two up too. Admittedly, I wasn't fifteen stone at the time. My GT186 pulls it fine too (now).

If you're two up all the time, you might be better looking at selling your TS bits and bobs and having a word with Ron about a Supertune Avanti.
I ride it 2 up more than I ride it 1 up....
Standard barrel....
hope I can come down from 15 stone :roll:
I would rather get the gearing right first time if I can :)
Its a Taffspeed Road pipe...or JL3 as I have been told...no idea about the exhaust timing :shock:
Its a brand new TS kit so wont be buying an Avanti.
bizzly

Ive opted for the 46 crown wheel and will try the 15 tooth on front and go from there.
Many thanks :)
Special X
Main scooter: Lambretta 125 special 230cc

Good choice for 2 up IMHO, with 5.2 gearing and a Taffy road it should top out at around 70+ mph and pull top really well.
With 4.8 I suspect you'd be up and down the box an awful lot.

For stump pulling torque so that it would pull 4.8 2 up you could have a 110mm con rod fitted and use a 2mm spacer at the bottom and a thicker head gasket.

Or you could have 1mm machined from the base of the cylinder and us a thicker head gasket (a very famous companys touring tune). But remember to have the spigot machined as well!
bizzly

bizzly wrote:Ive opted for the 46 crown wheel and will try the 15 tooth on front and go from there.
Many thanks :)
Just thought I would let people know that the gearing I have decided to go for was on the advice of Mark at MB and not my own choice. I just wanted other peoples opinions before I committed myself.
Many thanks for your inputs.
Bizz
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information