Chock up front wheel?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
druist

Other than bricks and peices of wood to lift up the forks for tightening them, has anyone got any ingeniuos ways of chocking them up? I dont want to use bricks etc now i have a disc brake and wondered if anyone has made a paddock similar to what motocycles go on?
cezeta

i use a floor joist under the stand to bring the front up enough for most jobs or roadside then park the scooter on the pavement on the stand and let the front wheel hang over the kerb. pivot on the stand to do the same for the rear wheel.

the stand is the key to most jobs as its most stable. i have used motocross paddock stands but find them precariously balanced with scooters
druist

floor joist stand? trying to picture what they look like? I was thinking of knocking just over the width of the front tyre/wheel out a small pallet and building the pallet up from underneat, cuz its only really for tightening the forks job. It would be nice to have something smaller that i could fit in the shed. Bricks or bits of wood tend to topple with me.

So motorbike ones aint no good either?
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

Drew............

get a length of wood approx 1 meter in length; about 6 inches wide and a couple of inches thick.

Put the bike on its stand, and then slip the wood under both stand feet.

This will allow the bike to stand with its front wheel completely clear of the ground, thus letting you adjust the steering bearings in the clear.

There is no need to remove the front wheel to do the fork bearings, although if you should need to, then simply undo the spindle nuts etc, and ease the bike to one side (still sitting on the wood with one of the stand legs), and the wheel can then be removed.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
claretandblue

I found the perfect tool for raising the front of a scoot, a purpose made scissor jack a similar width to a lammie , neat and fits in a small corner of shed etc when not in use.
It's heavy and supports the scoot via two adjustable cradles that fit neatly over the forward crossmember support on the underside of the frame, put the jack in position open it up via the scew and hey presto ! up goes the scoot and access in gained for all those fiddly jobs that are near impossible under normal circumstances, no stand required and is in fact useful for taking stand off/replacing with new including spring removal/replacement. Everything you want to do on the front end is possible with this.Provide you are using on a flat surface this thing is as steady as a rock, it's supposed to be able to lift 500lb or so, however would advise some accident proofing in case of jack failure as is always the case with scissor jacks. I have also used it on the ramp when I need to to give me even more ease of access and it's easily transportable in a back -up van etc if the need arises. total size is I s'pose about half a briefcase.
I found it on a motorbike retail website under garage tools section and I think it was around £40, for the money It's the dogs.
Hope this helps.
soulsurfer

claretandblue wrote:I found the perfect tool for raising the front of a scoot, a purpose made scissor jack a similar width to a lammie , neat and fits in a small corner of shed etc when not in use.
It's heavy and supports the scoot via two adjustable cradles that fit neatly over the forward crossmember support on the underside of the frame, put the jack in position open it up via the scew and hey presto ! up goes the scoot and access in gained for all those fiddly jobs that are near impossible under normal circumstances, no stand required and is in fact useful for taking stand off/replacing with new including spring removal/replacement. Everything you want to do on the front end is possible with this.Provide you are using on a flat surface this thing is as steady as a rock, it's supposed to be able to lift 500lb or so, however would advise some accident proofing in case of jack failure as is always the case with scissor jacks. I have also used it on the ramp when I need to to give me even more ease of access and it's easily transportable in a back -up van etc if the need arises. total size is I s'pose about half a briefcase.
I found it on a motorbike retail website under garage tools section and I think it was around £40, for the money It's the dogs.
Hope this helps.
Have you got a piccy my friend?
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
cezeta

bristolmod wrote:Drew............

get a length of wood approx 1 meter in length; about 6 inches wide and a couple of inches thick.

Put the bike on its stand, and then slip the wood under both stand feet.

This will allow the bike to stand with its front wheel completely clear of the ground, thus letting you adjust the steering bearings in the clear.

There is no need to remove the front wheel to do the fork bearings, although if you should need to, then simply undo the spindle nuts etc, and ease the bike to one side (still sitting on the wood with one of the stand legs), and the wheel can then be removed.

Chris
thats what i had in mind, the floor joist is a lump of wood taken from under my floor when repairing it 2" x 4" i think and its just the right size under the centre stand to do most jobs.

if your centre stand is in good condition the front wheel should be off the ground already. innocenti made the lambretta so it could be maintained with few tools so most of what you need is built into the bike 8-)
druist

i think i have early stage althziemers. I had done this last year, raised the stand. Stupidly, I was thinking i needed to raise the forks as i read it somewhere. Thanks Chris, cezeta and everyone else.

Yes, a piccy of your invention would be good though as i could use this perhaps for my bike to, which only has a sidestand.
twin

u need 2 axle stands and put them where the stand wud b,
then u can chock up the front wheel,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information