Indian 185 alloy kits

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Misunderstood
Main scooter: Italian GP200 (TS1 240)

Just taken delivery of one of these kits.
When the piston is & cylinder are fitted, you can see the piston ring pegs in the exhaust port. This can't be right can it? The piston rings catch on the port!
Also, the inlet manifold is so close to the engine mounts it is impossible to fit the carb.
Anyone else had a similar problem or is it just me?
Solerunner1
Main scooter: GP 190

the ring pegs definitely cannot open up into any of the ports. Maybe the piston is in upside down? I've seen the ring pegs on either side of the exhaust port, or(what you may have) at about 12 o'clock and 1 o'clock positions(opposite the exhaust port). Which means it might be in upside down.

I was really thinking of buying one of those kits a while back....I ended up buying a lathe, hone, all the gauges, tools, etc, etc to make 190's out of stock cast iron barrels. I thought this might be less frustrating than one of those kits if they were poorly made. ;)
Misunderstood

Thanks for that mate.
I spoke to the supplier this morning about the issue. He spoke to the manufacturer in India who confirmed that "some" pistons have the arrow stamped on them in the wrong place therefore turn the piston upside down.
Tried this & piston ring hits inlet port . Piston won't even slide down the cylinder, so I have put piston back in the way it was originally.
gee

I had the same problem mate, piston arrow is stamped the wrong way :( . put it in with the arrow pointing to the inlet port and it'll be fine.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Misunderstood wrote:Thanks for that mate.
I spoke to the supplier this morning about the issue. He spoke to the manufacturer in India who confirmed that "some" pistons have the arrow stamped on them in the wrong place therefore turn the piston upside down.
Tried this & piston ring hits inlet port . Piston won't even slide down the cylinder, so I have put piston back in the way it was originally.
The ring hits the inlet port on lots of kits..........only an issue when fitting, as once in place.....the ring never gets to the inlet port. Re-fit without inlet manifold on and help the ring past the port whilst fitting.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Chris CSPE
Dealer

To check that you've put the piston in correctly, look at the skirt of the piston and you'll see that one of the skirts is wider then the other, the wider skirt faces the inlet.
Speed Demon
Dealer

Misunderstood wrote: I spoke to the supplier this morning about the issue. He spoke to the manufacturer in India who confirmed that "some" pistons have the arrow stamped on them in the wrong place therefore turn the piston upside down.
That is so comforting, top quality manufacture then :?
Get to SULK
Misunderstood

Thanks of the advice guys.
I'm waiting for the new inlet manifold to arrive which will hopefully enable me to fit the carb!!!!!!
Will let you know the outcome.
gee

You may be interested in what i've posted on the 'Opinions' thread :(
Muttley McLadd

Misunderstood wrote: I spoke to the supplier this morning about the issue. He spoke to the manufacturer in India who confirmed that "some" pistons have the arrow stamped on them in the wrong place therefore turn the piston upside down.
Name the dealer.. It's refreshing for someone not to say "It's the first one we've heard of" or "It must be the way you've fitted it" "Wrong petrol tank" etc.
CakeAndArseParty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information