opinions?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
marktheskin
Main scooter: SIL GP150/vespa when its broke

was just wodnering what peoples opinions of buzzsolomoto kits

Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

A friend of mine has one that's been sorted by Buzz. Which is preferable to buying a straight kit off e.Bay. He seems quite happy with it. Although, he did say there was a little piston slap. I can't quite picture what that means, but it will mean something to those that know about that sort of thing. It may be that you can rectify it reasonably easily.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I've had a few of these kits (not from Buzz) and with a fair bit of fettling they do give good performance and value for money.

The Buzz. kits are tidied up before he sends them out I understand so thats less work if you're not that inclined.

Personally, I try to get hold of just the alloy/ sleived metal barrel and get a piston from Scooter Restorations (Mahle- £30 or so), and then get my "borer" here in Bristol to bore to fit. I've now gone down to 2 1/2 thou clearance and this does eliminate any "slap"- the alloy/ metal bore seems quite forgiving at this close tolerance and I've experienced no nip ups to date.......... :shock:

The beauty of these cheap kits (and even cheaper barrels) is that you can have a play yourself tidying up the ports etc- if you screw it up, they're cheap to replace

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
gee

I've been running these kits on my 2 lambrettas after fettling the ports, and they have now both failed in the same way but with different results. When they were running they produced excellent results in terms of performance.
The pistons have grabbed the rings and worn them down to the same level as the piston then causing the piston to rub on the cylinder, this resulted in loss of compression in the first failure and seizing in the second failure. :(
The exhast ports have been opened up to match the gasket and the edges have all been chamferred, could the failures just be down to poor quality pistons or rings, or is it likely to be something else?
gee

Phoned scooter restorations today to enquire about a piston, they no longer stock them and wont be in the future. :(
What's the next best option?
Doom Patrol

Scootopia in Weston do Asso pistons for the 185 kit.
gee

Will have a look, thanks :)
Doom Patrol

I doubt you'll find them on the web site, which is being updated anyway. They will probably be in their e.Bay shop. Probably the best bet would be to ring and ask for Danny.
purple_pill67
Main scooter: Jet200

Af should have pistons too
Diablo
Dealer

The Casa pistons are hard to get hold of. The do have nice thin 1mm wiseco rings though.
I tried to get a piston from both Scootopia and scooter surgery and both were having problems with supply.

I think there is a piston from the US (deanspeed?) or you could use a TS185 Suzuki piston but this means a long rod on the crank.

I could be wrong but I think the longest running thread on the LCGB forum is to do with these kits so maybe search on there and have a read. I'd get a cup of tea first though :D

P.s you'll get more answers on here if you make the title of the thread about the kit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information