Firstime/rebuild/first time sprayer

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
tobytyke
Main scooter: li 125/mb 225 stage four/

Update...

After a break in the weather..managed to get 3 coats of 2k primer on....just a bit confused as to what my next step should be..on reading.some say flatt back now then continue onto colour..some say spray a guide coat then flatt back...opinions appreciated..thankyou...(all panels and frame are like this now )

WINTERMODEL150
Main scooter: lambretta ld auto

tobytyke wrote:Update...

After a break in the weather..managed to get 3 coats of 2k primer on....just a bit confused as to what my next step should be..on reading.some say flatt back now then continue onto colour..some say spray a guide coat then flatt back...opinions appreciated..thankyou...(all panels and frame are like this now )

Hi,spray a mat black guide coat all over then if you are using straight color and not metallic use 600 wet and dry paper ,when this is done give it a good hard rub over with a grey scotch cloth then paint it ,job done :D

Dean
tobytyke

Cheers Dean (again)..got ya...but im not going the easy route..im doing a rossi theme (for a biker pal,that got fkt up earlier this year)...so theres obviously some taping off and rubbing down after i switch colours etc...thanks again pal..ya like my gaurdian angel.. 8-)
coaster

Just to add to what Dean said above, the guide coat only needs to be a light dusting coat, no need to try to get a full coat on. Just use a spray can from a bit of a distance 8-)
tobytyke

Thanks coaster... :fb: ...its elbow grease time again..watch this space pal..
tobytyke

Gave the scoot 5 coats of ford blue. happy as larry as to how it went....so all parts now that a wanted blue..are blue and its onto the white...would i be right in thinking...its a fine sand allover..then mask off the parts i want white...then spray the white..thanks lads.

coaster

Well done so far. You ask about flatting it now, Normally I wouldn't do a full flatting at this stage, just remove any nibs or dust particles. However, You are planning on adding extra colours and it looks like you have a fair bit of orange peel in the photos. I would definately flat it off now starting with 800 wet & dry and finishing off with 1500 or even 2000, you have 5 coats on there so there should be no danger of going through but be very carefull on the edges. You will end up with a dull finish but you will get the gloss back on the final polish 8-)

Re the orange peel, you might need to add a little more thinner or possibly turn the pressure down a little.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information