Femsatronic rally 200 experience?

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
cit205

I've got a very low mileage femsa rally which i'm rebuilding the engine for as it's been stood a long time .
Everything works fine but i do hear things about femsa sometimes ,both positive as well as negative, i'm not going to convert it to ducati just yet but what i'd like to know is anybodys experience of them, and what is the most likely to go wrong ,cdi,pick up? etc ,there seems to be a condensor in the stator too. (so i can accumulate ideal spares to take on rallies or touring.) I have bought a new femsa cdi coil from SIP so far.
firekdp

No experience myself, but from what I've read the repro femsa CDI's aren't very reliable, however with a small mod a Ducati CDI can be made to work with the femsa stator and pick up. Also the condensor looking thing on the stator is actually a 250 ohm 10W resistor.
rakki
Main scooter: sx|px|rally×2

The part most likely the fail is CDI. I know several high mileage Rallyes with Femsa set-up that work brilliantly, but on the other hand have first hand experience with repro-femsas that lasted about 20 minutes. I suggest that you just bolt on what you have and see if it works as the whole system seems to be quite illogical.
cit205

Should have done a bit of research before getting excited by that new cdi then :oops:
oh well might get me out of the s**t for 20 minutes one day :lol:
It does all work as it is i was just thinking from an on the road spares angle.
Any idea what the mod to ducati cdi to get them working with femsa is?
Cheers :)
buttontobutton

I used a '73 Femsa Rally 200 for my daily workhorse for about 3 years. Was very reliable and the only trouble I had was when it was parked outside work and it pissed down with rain, the damp would penetrate the (original) coil and make it a bit of a pig to start (was too tight to replace the rubbers) but other than that it was great. The biggest negative is the lights, I used to drive home on dark winter nights wishing they were better, but I managed to get hold of some 6 volt Halogen type bulbs which improved it a bit.

If I had kept it any longer I would have done the Ducati CDI mod but kept the original crank and stator. There used to be a dedicated Rally 200 users site which had details of the way to do the mod but I don't know if it's still up.
cit205

That's excellent ,thanks 8-) will save and print off ,think i'll do that at some point. :)
cit205

buttontobutton wrote:I used a '73 Femsa Rally 200 for my daily workhorse for about 3 years. Was very reliable and the only trouble I had was when it was parked outside work and it pissed down with rain, the damp would penetrate the (original) coil and make it a bit of a pig to start (was too tight to replace the rubbers) but other than that it was great. The biggest negative is the lights, I used to drive home on dark winter nights wishing they were better, but I managed to get hold of some 6 volt Halogen type bulbs which improved it a bit.

If I had kept it any longer I would have done the Ducati CDI mod but kept the original crank and stator. There used to be a dedicated Rally 200 users site which had details of the way to do the mod but I don't know if it's still up.
Yeh i've bought a halogen, i used to have a 180 ,it might as well have been a candle about to go out in the lamp :lol:
cit205

Putting the scooter back together now, i can't remember whether that little ring spring goes on the crank before the pick up cam or after (i.e sandwiched between the cam and flywheel) :oops: :?:
OzOAP
Main scooter: Vespa PTS1E

Ring on first, then cam, with writing facing outwards.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information