Breather plug

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
red ghost
Xbox live gamer tag: Pleasure Master
Main scooter: lambretta gp150

I have the old problem of my breather plug spitting out oil, no seals are shagged , is there a fix for this?

frank
How come phonetics isn't spelt with an 'f'?

Check out my boobs! <-- <--Just imagine being burried between those puppies!
Avantone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I've seen a few breather bolts machined down to accept a flexible plastic tube with a small air filter on the end.

I'm sure someone was producing them, but would be fairly simple to knock up yourself.
Tony

Download the (Original) Lambretta Gearbox Visualiser
www.lambrettagearbox.com
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I always use an original breather plug from which I've removed all the crud and the wire wool from the last 40 odd years- this allows any build up of pressure within the case to exit via the plug as intended and not force its way past any seal. There may be a slight "weeping" of oil but this is preferable to a blown seal IMO

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
J1MS

bristolmod wrote:I always use an original breather plug from which I've removed all the crud and the wire wool from the last 40 odd years- this allows any build up of pressure within the case to exit via the plug as intended and not force its way past any seal. There may be a slight "weeping" of oil but this is preferable to a blown seal IMO

Chris
Good advice and seconded by me.... 8-)
red ghost
Xbox live gamer tag: Pleasure Master
Main scooter: lambretta gp150

Avantone wrote:I've seen a few breather bolts machined down to accept a flexible plastic tube with a small air filter on the end.

I'm sure someone was producing them, but would be fairly simple to knock up yourself.
Pretty much what i'm thinking.... but running a hose from the breather plug to the air filter, simular deal to a PCV setup on a car.
How come phonetics isn't spelt with an 'f'?

Check out my boobs! <-- <--Just imagine being burried between those puppies!
doggbhoy

a while ago i fitted a mbd stainless breather plug, then noticed oil being forced out? put the old one back in and problem solved :?
gabba gabba hey gabba we accept you one of us
J1MS

red ghost wrote:
Avantone wrote:I've seen a few breather bolts machined down to accept a flexible plastic tube with a small air filter on the end.

Pretty much what i'm thinking.... but running a hose from the breather plug to the air filter, simular deal to a PCV setup on a car.
I thought this was only done on a four stroke, somthing to do with crank pressure and Inlet vacume on diffrent parts of 720 degree ( Two revolutions ) four stroke cycle.... I would be very interested to know how this performs if you connect back to the air box. Please dont forget to post back your findings if you go down this route, as any knowledge gained is a good thing....another Idea on this forum that I had never thought of....so for now disregard my last post...
firekdp

On 4 strokes any unburnt hydrocarbons getting past the piston rings go directly into the crankcase, due to emission laws these were no longer allowed to be vented to air so are fed back into intake system to be re-burnt. On a 2 stroke blow-by does not get into the crankcase unless the drive side seal has gone so PCV would be a waste of time.
Avantone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

J1MS wrote:
red ghost wrote:

I thought this was only done on a four stroke, somthing to do with crank pressure and Inlet vacume on diffrent parts of 720 degree ( Two revolutions ) four stroke cycle.... I would be very interested to know how this performs if you connect back to the air box. Please dont forget to post back your findings if you go down this route, as any knowledge gained is a good thing....another Idea on this forum that I had never thought of....so for now disregard my last post...
The remote breathers I've seen vent to atmosphere, and were not recycled. Though one of the photos on the 100 MPH Lambretta Club site show a breather tube disappearing into the main frame tube, with what maybe an integral filter?

Tony

Download the (Original) Lambretta Gearbox Visualiser
www.lambrettagearbox.com
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

here's mine :
I just cut the top off an old breather, welded a bit of tube on and fitted that boy racer filter which cost about £3 from ebay. seems to work, and doesn't leak, unlike the stainless one i was using previously
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information