splitting cranks

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
gaz_powell

Got a knackered rod/bearing on mec black crank so thought i`d get the lads at work to split it in ready for a rebuild (by others) we have a 12t press in the workshop.

started the work with a little heat and got to 6.5 t and it made a bang so they they thought it had released on viewing it has moved pin by about 1/2mm. Started again and got over 7t pressure but no further movement so they stopped as they were abit concerned.

what kind of pressure would be required and what amount of heat ? They only used a propane gas bottle so heat was minimal

cheers

gary
tarmac tickler

i dont use any heat mate,, have known 12 ton needed to split um, they go with a right bang and the webs have been known to crack along their weakest/thinnest point.

then again have had um p155 out !!
good luck !!
tea5ive
Main scooter: cometa 140

had 12 -15t on a starstream crank before it let go, it was starting to mushroom over a drift we made to suit the pin size :o
gaz_powell

thanks for the advise

i blocked out the webs and pressed the pin out of each web seperately - the press went up to 17t but red lines at 12 - the pin went with a bang at 12.5
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information