honestly don't know what set up to go for

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
MCH
Main scooter: street racer px

after reading this thread on polini vs mallossi

http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic ... polini+208

i still can't make my mind up on what I actually want my px to do

to be honest what ever i have had, i have always thrashed it here there and everywhere, although i do like having a good amount of torque to pull out and overtake peoples.

as i have my nexus for a daily, im looking for a set up which will mainly be used for short trips here and there, rideouts with my club and just blasting around the streets

now im guessing everyone will just say mallossi because of what i have described, but the one thing i am cautious about is reliability, i don't want to have to keep buying mallossi cylinders and pistons everytime it goes wrong or constantly have to tinker with it to get the right set up.

i want something that will put a big smile on my face everytime i go out on it, but not have to worry about it blowing up etc, as i have already holed two pistons on a standard p2.

so polini? mallossi? polossi? any ideas and recommendations or set ups you know of would be great, so i can start saving pennies for parts to do it.

cheers

matt
tSR-VN
Dealer

well what do you want out of the motor, if you want balls out power for the occasional weekend thrash go the malossi - if you use your scooter everyday and need it get to work the polini is probably a safer option... it just depends what kind of result you want to end up with... everythings going to be a trade off to a certain extent
LI150
Main scooter: Series 2 LI150

It does sound like you have answered your own question and its a Malossi you want. If you can try a mates polini and malossi. You could also PM Diablo on here about the Polini as I beleive he is the expert on these and there is some youtube clips of his Polini PX on the coast to coast run last year. I have a Malossi 210 and it does put a smile on my face every time I use it but I also have a series 2 with a standard 200 engine so if Im not in the mood for a over revving fuel drinking hooligan machine I use the Lammie
MCH

LI150 wrote:It does sound like you have answered your own question and its a Malossi you want. If you can try a mates polini and malossi. You could also PM Diablo on here about the Polini as I beleive he is the expert on these and there is some youtube clips of his Polini PX on the coast to coast run last year. I have a Malossi 210 and it does put a smile on my face every time I use it but I also have a series 2 with a standard 200 engine so if Im not in the mood for a over revving fuel drinking hooligan machine I use the Lammie
yer i get what you mean, i just want to know which would be more reliable but also fun, i have the nexus for commuting with its power and mpg at the same time,

so hmm might go for a hooligan fuel drinking machine, so whats a safe set up for the malossi?

which ever i choose, i was thinking about have a 60mm crank but no reed valve

dellorto 28 or 30, i have a 28 phbh atm in a box

cnc clutch basket or banded clutch with uprated springs

t5 4th,

sip fast flow tap
LI150

This is my set up which seems reliable so far it has had many different variations (head, Carb etc) till I got to this and so far about 1000 + miles all seems good.

Mallosi 210
Sip Head
Standard Cut crank
68/22 gearing
T5 4th gear
Banded 7 spring type clutch (DRT Springs)
28mm Dellorto Carb (Non reed Valve)
Dellorto Fuel Pump
JL RH Exhaust
Mtec retard ignition system
Fast flow tap
MCH

is there a way around not having a fuel pump fitted? or is it a necessity?

are the sip heads better ?

im wanting to stay with the cosa clutch and elecy start,

is it also worth getting a different ignition system?
philhnottm
Main scooter: px (s)

Had a 166 malossi 166 set up which didnt go right to to crap set up and blew up.

Now had a parma 177 kit (worth consideration) fitted which appears to be a lot better done 1000 plus miles without problems apart from clutch related.

Ps whats DRT springs are they the strongest available as ive just ordered some from SIP as FA italia ones were still slipping.
LI150

MCH wrote:is there a way around not having a fuel pump fitted? or is it a necessity?

I tried first without a fuel pump but when tank got low I had fuel starvation. I would say try without first and see how you go.

I have tryed the Malossi Head - Compression is high pinking occured
Next I tryed the MMW Head - Didnt seem like I was getting the most out of the performance
Next tryed the SIP Head - The best quality bit of kit I ever bought for my Vespa. A tadge expensive but well worrh the money IMO

Nothing wrong with the Cosa I didnt use the one I had as I wanted to change the gearing and got hold of a 7 spring 22 tooth clutch so used that. Also I like my elecy start so kept it.

No keep the ignition you have, I just fitted a MTECH advance retard system to clean up lower revs and aid with cooling at higher by running a more retarded timing.

Hope this helps.. :bouncyeng:
LI150

philhnottm wrote:Had a 166 malossi 166 set up which didnt go right to to crap set up and blew up.

Now had a parma 177 kit (worth consideration) fitted which appears to be a lot better done 1000 plus miles without problems apart from clutch related.

Ps whats DRT springs are they the strongest available as ive just ordered some from SIP as FA italia ones were still slipping.
http://beedspeed.com/product_info.php?c ... ts_id=1497

These are the ones I use and I have no issues with them. Cant say if they are the strongest but I was recommended them by someone of here and have been well happy.
MCH

LI150 wrote:
MCH wrote:is there a way around not having a fuel pump fitted? or is it a necessity?

I tried first without a fuel pump but when tank got low I had fuel starvation. I would say try without first and see how you go.

I have tryed the Malossi Head - Compression is high pinking occured
Next I tryed the MMW Head - Didnt seem like I was getting the most out of the performance
Next tryed the SIP Head - The best quality bit of kit I ever bought for my Vespa. A tadge expensive but well worrh the money IMO

Nothing wrong with the Cosa I didnt use the one I had as I wanted to change the gearing and got hold of a 7 spring 22 tooth clutch so used that. Also I like my elecy start so kept it.

No keep the ignition you have, I just fitted a MTECH advance retard system to clean up lower revs and aid with cooling at higher by running a more retarded timing.

Hope this helps.. :bouncyeng:
as i want to run mine long stroke, sip do a longstroke version, so that you don't have to put in a packing plate or spacer, its in anodised red, for the sake of 100 quid i would rather buy that off the shelf than faf around getting one machined.

also talking about the gearing, as im running an oversized tyre on the rear, what gearing do you suggest i try?

also how much do you reckon in labour would it cost to port the casings and then set it all up?
once i have everything I think I will take it to diablo moto, even though hes best with polini kits, i know if i take it there i will get the best service
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information