http://www.supermonza.co.uk/

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Muttley McLadd

tony wrote:Just read all this
Mutley.... box pipe? Mate... you need to understand two stroke tuning. You will NOT get big torque or hp from a box pipe with a lambretta casing and port area so sadly Charley had to design a proper expansion pipe to make it all work modern standards. The pipe is the HEART of a proper two stroke motor.
I agree. You wont get big torque or hp from a Lambretta. But I do understand two stroke tuning.

I, too, am looking forward to the Supertune Avanti kit, with its box pipe. I think the comparisons between the two will be interesting.
CakeAndArseParty
nelson pk

I agree with you Tony 100%. All the work that i've known and seen Charlie do is spot on.
I'm really looking forward to this kit. I think it will be a huge step forward in fast, reliable Lambrettas.
tony
Main scooter: 90ss

Mutley. I apologise and take it back. I was having a rant. ;)

I do feel that a lot of people think they can get big torque and power figures from a box pipe. I understand the want for one as it keeps the lines and originality of the bike. I own a GP and I would like to keep it orginal looking.
The pipe is probably the most important part of a performance two stroke motor. You can dictate so much with it. The super Monza won't perform correctly without its correct pipe. Its all designed as one very precisely.
Sponsors: Performance Tuning. Ve Uk. Scooter Center Koln. LTH . DRT
psychedelicropcircle
Main scooter: Series 1 li150 1958

I, too, am looking forward to the Supertune Avanti kit, with its box pipe. I think the comparisons between the two will be interesting.[/quote]

is there a date on when the avanti kit will be released?
joespeed

tony, you sound to be 'in the know' we are all waiting for the release date showing its power figures etc.etc. plus the all important costs,i fear that i will have to sell all my scooters (12 in total) to purchase this 'super monza kit' in one go!
now the 'supertune avanti kit' allows the mix/match of ancillories so that we can use bits from previous ventures enabling us to keep costs down as much as possible .
soulsurfer

All this comparison between the Super Monza and Avanti kit is a waste of time, the only similarity is final ratio, the torque and bhp figures are vastly different as is the delivery of power and price. You pays yer money and takes your choice, each has it's niche, but they are not the same by a long shot.
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
Muttley McLadd

joespeed wrote: now the 'supertune avanti kit' allows the mix/match of ancillories so that we can use bits from previous ventures enabling us to keep costs down as much as possible .
That's a valid point. Having everything matched is all well and good if you're going to build an engine from scratch. But who does that? Obviously there's a few people that build complete engines from scratch for every rat or poverty scooter they've got. Isn't it more normal to have one engine that gets modified over time? Chucking £2500/£3000 at your bike in one go is quite a commitment.
I'd imagine that the sort of potential customer that will be interested in this sort of performance is the sort of customer that has already got a modified engine that's been honed to perfection over several years. They'll already have a good quality crank/electronic kit/exhaust/carb. Spending close to £3k for a bit of added reliability is all well and good. But what do you do with all the duplicate parts you've already got?
soulsurfer wrote:All this comparison between the Super Monza and Avanti kit is a waste of time, the only similarity is final ratio, the torque and bhp figures are vastly different as is the delivery of power and price. .
Awesome.. could you point us to where they've been published?
CakeAndArseParty
tony

Joe... I will ask charley what the update is.. and get back to you.

Mutley... this is aimed at those who want an ultimate reliable touring high performance Lambretta and are prepared to build into their casings in one hit. Many people do this. I used to work in kegra and jb tuning dont forget. Its everyday stuff for someone to order a high end motor. I do get your point to get modifying over time... but this doesnt need modifying. If 'you' ( the buyer ) is a modifyer then this isnt for 'you'. But if you add up all the cash over time you will be shocked... and you STILL wont get the performance you will get with this. I promise you.

This is plug and play bar some port matching in the casing if you wish. I have seen bills for rb motors well over £3500 for the road. And if you start looking at what you get with these dealer 'specials' you can see why... Rb kit... 'wiseco' (or whatever)piston... 'trick' crank,, jap rod,,ignition,,head work, packer, welding,, pipe.. and most of all the labour to port the thing. It all adds up.
What charley found was there was not a crank off the shelf to hang on to this power reliably so a solution was found... the same with the piston... the motor/pipe was designed to work with the correct advance retard of the supplied ignition which will be fed by the correctly jetted powerjet carb that is part of the package.

They will have to be built correctly... squished correctly.. but this is basic stuff for high end motors. Its not a budget attempt at high performance.This is proper performance with proper components... this is has to be the ultimate in touring performance in a un welded standard (apart from trans matching) lambretta casing. (There is no welding or machining.)
It has been a while... but it will be worth it. Answer me this anyone... '6hrs flat out running in race conditions'.. would you be content your current motors would do this?
I have seen this thing go... seen the graphs. Its not what some of you are thinking. So many times I hear of "we want torque, no revs, rallies etc".. well ;)
.... in the meantime I will speak to charley for an update. Seeing him on monday.
tony

Btw... what is this avanti kit? It runs a box pipe? There will be no comparison if so. The reason why, is the science behind the two stroke motor.
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

tony wrote:Btw... what is this avanti kit? It runs a box pipe? There will be no comparison if so. The reason why, is the science behind the two stroke motor.
It was just run with a box pipe in its original prototype form.It will allow any pipe but obviously only a certain few will be suitable.It's a kit Ron Moss has developed.
It's just when he run the prototype a few years back,he hit 80mph on the 1/4 and used 4.4 ratio and his Avanti Bigbore box pipe.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information