Re: 12V DC CONVERSION - HOW TO

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
firekdp

coaster wrote: unless you post up a FULL diagram, no one can help you.
I believe it uses the same wiring as an et2.
http://pscgroup.square7.ch/Manuals/Piag ... 0model.jpg
terryokey
Main scooter: Lambretta SX150

Sorry Donnie it was a question mate will start a thread now ceersh
coaster

firekdp wrote:
coaster wrote: unless you post up a FULL diagram, no one can help you.
I believe it uses the same wiring as an et2.
http://pscgroup.square7.ch/Manuals/Piag ... 0model.jpg
Jeez :o I think for me that is going to be way too complicated and for what benefit, the head lights are already on DC by the look of it as well as the indicators fed from a combined regulator/rectifier/flasher unit.....beyond me....I'm out ;)
firekdp

Lights are AC, but it looks like that stator has 3 coils dedicated to main lights, so it should run a high power power headlamp anyway.
The conversion doesn't look too difficult, a bit of reconfiguring of the stator wires and a new indicator relay. The only thing lost, by ditching that reg/rec, would be the "oil level warning lamp" test at start up.
Lam-d
Main scooter: 71 Gp200e

Lads is there any way of making an AF DC stator work with this setup it has an extra wire form the stator i.e. 2x yellow and 1x red as i like the full DC lighting with no flickering or dimming ....or Do i just fit a crappy vespa 5 pin regulator and make do with the flickering and dimming at idle ....Ta
coaster

Lam-d wrote:Lads is there any way of making an AF DC stator work with this setup it has an extra wire form the stator i.e. 2x yellow and 1x red as i like the full DC lighting with no flickering or dimming ....or Do i just fit a crappy vespa 5 pin regulator and make do with the flickering and dimming at idle ....Ta
If the 2 yellows are connected to the ends of the lighting coils it will. As well as the yellows you should have a green, red and an earth. If you have an ohms meter, connect the leads to both yellows, you should see a reading of less than 1 ohm. Check each yellow in turn to earth, you should get infinity or open circuit.
Lam-d

Bud the stator has 6 wires the green .red and white to the cdi and the seperate lighting end of things with 2 yellow and a red ....its a Ducati DC stator most probably an old AF one that would have used a vespa 5 pin regulator having said that i was told that it is Gp200e Battery model plate ...
coaster

I don't have any experience of the AF stator which why I said 'IF', hopefully someone will be along to confirm if it's possible with a re-configuration of the wiring or not 8-)
firekdp

Lam-d wrote:Bud the stator has 6 wires the green .red and white to the cdi and the seperate lighting end of things with 2 yellow and a red ....its a Ducati DC stator most probably an old AF one that would have used a vespa 5 pin regulator having said that i was told that it is Gp200e Battery model plate ...
2 yellows and a red would suggest that it is the type used by AF. GP200e models used exactly the same lighting & battery charging coils as the points models.
The rectifier used was never fitted to any vespa that I know of, although similar systems were used by some US rally 200's and seveta motoplat DC machines but these were 6v.
If you want to use with a wassel rectifier, use the 2 yellows and isolate the red. It would be possible to reconfigure the stator to get more power, but it's a bit more complicated.
Lam-d

Cheers bud will isolate the red .... The Gp200e plate must be the other one i have with some wires missing ..thanks for the help ...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information