Re: 12V DC CONVERSION - HOW TO

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
RBG

Is it worth paying the extra for the BGM DC stator vs the reworked SIL item sold by Beedspeed ?
coaster

RBG wrote:Is it worth paying the extra for the BGM DC stator vs the reworked SIL item sold by Beedspeed ?
Better quality LT coil and Pickup plus extra windings on the lighting coils for a higher output so yes, imho worth the extra....don't believe the 120 watt claim though ;)
Last edited by coaster on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kejj

And by the end of the day, my beedspeed stator has worked flawless as long as my bgm on the other bike.
shocky

Byron on here does them as in dc conversations
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

shocky wrote:Byron on here does them as in dc conversations
And does a very good job as well :D
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
Ilango
Main scooter: SIL Vijai Super

Dear Folks,
I have also converted to my SIL Vijai Super to a full DC setup by re-soldering the wires and swapping the tail-lamp & brake-light coils with a thicker head light ones. Soldered all 4 of them in series.
Now the 2 ends of this series connection is fed to a DC rectifier of Piaggio Ape, and the rectifier output goes to the battery.
Wire from the battery +ve gets into the junction box and supplies to all wires (except green) leading to the key switch and the brake switch.
I was happy to have a consistent head light irrespective of the engine speed. But the sad part was that the horn & brake light supplies are always live.

The DC type Lampbretta GP switch was of no help. After thinking of various options I decided to get away with the evening light mode. Swapped the festoon bulb inside the headlamp with a 35mm LED.
Used the 2nd step for horn & this LED, so that it serves as a Day Light Running Lamp.
The tail & speedo lamp are in parallel with the headlight, turning ON at the last key position.

-Ilango
loadedscooterist
Main scooter: lambretta li150 special

Hi there, I want to upgrade the electrics on my 6V Serveta and came to this thread but it doesn't appear to have been updated for a fair while and I cant see the pics.

Moving on, I am considering buying a 12v kit to do the upgrade. There are lots of kits on eBay and some look more complete than others in terms of price/pieces. Before I go shelling out cash is there a more straightforward method of upgrade as is suggested on the first couple of pages. Excuse my naivety in all this but would like to understand the pros and cons of each method.

Look forward to hearing people's thought and experiences on this upgrade.

Thanks in advance
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

i presume that you want 12v dc as per the thread title, i have recently converted one of my scooters to dc, i used bgm stator, bgm wassell and a battery from ebay, very simple to do, i did also add an external pick up from anthony tambs , got great lights and power for other things, plus got a nice spark at the plug that runs very steady, a good set up all round. there are also some new products out there which may turn out to be very good, time will tell, i opted for bgm and the external pick-up as it has been well tested over quite a period of time, you will probably get a bit more advice from a few others as well, its worth doing just to get a nice bright headlamp, my horn sounds great like a fog horn.
loadedscooterist
Main scooter: lambretta li150 special

Hi Holty, Thanks for the quick response and what you have done is something that I would like to replicate. I want better lights for sure and a easier start and something that runs better. What battery did you buy from eBay? I take it you also had to replace the bulbs so they are 12v? (silly question alert!) Also how easy is it to fit - any chance of a list of steps to do this and any special tools required? Hopefully there will be some more additions to this thread as I am sure I am not the only person who is thinking about this as a Winter project.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

the battery i used was a 7.5ah the type with push on connectors, but a smaller one would probably do, do you have a battery tray ?
you will need a timing disc, a strobe , a flywheel extractor, a soldering iron to join wires, i also added a couple of inline fuses in holders, mine was 12 volt but yes you will need 12v bulbs and 12v horn plus sockets and spanners, a worthwhile conversion.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information