Change of pipe

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
philhnottm
Main scooter: px (s)

Question to the tech guys

Running a px 125 with malossi 166 26 del carb and upgraded maz crank. It currently has a malossi pipe however im thinking of upgrading to give it a bit more poke.

Reading the site and lookinga t various websites the options appear to be PM Tuning,Jl or a scorpion.

They all appear to a similar price, the Pm tuning quotes an extra 10 -12 MPH or 25% power increase.

My last dyno was 12BHP so advice please.I have been told that i can have the pipe swopped and have the new one added and the jetting done and thats about it??

I would like to keep my spare if possible

Regards

Phil
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

I did 2 166 kits for mates , one that made 15 hp with a Simonini and another with a Scorpion.The Scorpion blew the Simonini one away on the road and sounded nicer too.
gimp1971
Main scooter: vespa t5

i had a pm on my T5 changed over to a scorpian and it blew it away for power
philhnottm
Main scooter: px (s)

Had a chat with someone that suggested that a PM or similar pipe may only add 1 BHP

So now even more confused.

On aside issue what does matching the casings mean and do??

Phil
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Matching the casing to the barrel transfers and cutting the crank really transforms the 166 kit and using the P2 carb gives it a bit more too. 1 hp is still better than nowt.
sean brady scooters
Dealer

the best results weve had from tuned malossi 166 kitted motors has been with scoot RS pipes or sterling pipes...
typically they kick out at least 16 BHP...with a great spread of useable torque...in the region of 12 to 14 FT/lbs...
thats with matched casings /cut crank /24 or 26mm carb...22 tooth clutch ...
one of our reed valved 166 s touched just under 18BHP...and GPS, d at 74 mph on a 1/2 mile straight...so maybe more on a longer run... :D
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information