P2 Cylinder kits

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ArmandTanzarian

I've more or less decided to get a mildly tuned standard barrel for my P2 and retain the standard pipe and carb. Partly for reliability and partly because my ACMA only has a 5 litre fuel tank (including reserve). But while I was looking I wondered what were the differences between the various cylinder kits available.

I know all about the power delivery characteristics of RBs, TS1s and Mugellos etc but these Vespa things are a complete unknown.

Possibly stating the bleedin' obvious but what are the differences between:

The Polini 210

The Malossi 210

The Pinasco 213

and what else would need changing, after all, you wouldn't fit a TS1 without a better crank, bearings pipe and carb etc I assume the same rules apply to Vespas
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
pasner

ArmandTanzarian

Cheers for that. Of the three, the Pinasco looks the most interesting as its all ally but not so much of a screamer as the Malossi.
pasner

a 225 pinasco is what I have in mind for my next vbb project, a good friend of mine is verry happy with this setup: pinasco barrel and piston, MMW reprofiled head, long crankshaft, malossi reeds, scootrs manifold and a PWK28 carb, fuel pump, SIP exhaust and no mods to the flywheel. As he sais, the perfect touring machine for 2 up, 120km/h all day long, and not a revy monster.
ArmandTanzarian

I haven't the budget or the expertise for that level of modification. If I were to get one it would just be a basic bolt-on jobby. That said, the scoot already has a Sito plus pipe and I do have a TM24 carb sat out in the shed and so who knows.

I'll probably just get a little bit of work done on the standard barrel or leave well alone. It may only do 60mph flat out but it did get from Kent to Dublin and back with no bother.

PS:

I've just noticed that you mention a fuel pump. How do they work? The reason I ask is that my ACMA has the smallest fuel tank in the world but if it was any bigger, the fuel would be below the carb.
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Might I suggest you start a new thread about the fuel pump, as some Lambretta owners might have good answers for you, but they won't read this thread as it is clearly about Vespas.
Martin
pasner

ArmandTanzarian wrote:

PS:

I've just noticed that you mention a fuel pump. How do they work? The reason I ask is that my ACMA has the smallest fuel tank in the world but if it was any bigger, the fuel would be below the carb.
Santacama on this forum is working on a 221 malossi engine at the moment, I borrow some pics of his engine just to show you how the fhis gilera runner fuel pump works on his vespa. Hope he doesnt mind :)

General scheme:

PUMP INLET
PUMP OUTLET
BALANCE PIPE WITH JET IN
TANK
CARB INLET

The arrow on the second pic comes from the tank. The circle is the place where the balance pipe with a jet in should go ( not on the picture yet). This 3-4mm jet works as a fuel restriction in order to flow the fuel to the carb.

As you can see in the last pic the fuel goes directly to the reedvalve.

Hope this helps to understand a bit more the pumping process. And thanks again to Santacama for the pics.
OzOAP
Main scooter: Vespa PTS1E

pasner wrote:

As you can see in the last pic the fuel goes directly to the reedvalve.

That's not a fuel pipe, its a vacuum pipe to the top of the pump.
Gunny

Why would you install one of these ??
I've got a 220 reed valve tuned Px engine 30m carb ect and it runs perfectly without anything like this so why the expense and hassle for something that i consider doesn't do the engine any use ?
Or am i being stupid and should get one ?
What's the point in having one ? other than make the engine more complicated.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

Guessing here,
but maybe when the fuel is low in a gravity fed fuel tank then the pressure to the carb float bowl is lower so the fuel delivery is less constant. But if its pumped then the flow remains more constant so the float level stays the same reducing fluctuations in the float bowl level might give a potentialy more constant even jetting under all throttle settings and fuel levels.

Muppet.
C’est la vie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information