jumping out of gear

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
rocho68
Dealer

help !!! just built mates rb engine , everything brand new including new mb layshaft , but its jumping out of gear in second gear only , gearbox has been shimmed properly so i dont know what to try first ???? :o
leigh

Second gear in correct way round
Diablo
Dealer

I had a similar problem recently on a very fruity RB. One of MBs uprated selector springs sorted it.
I've used uprated springs in the past and they have made the gearchange very stiff and notchy but this was fine
rocho68
Dealer

stripped down , new sliding dog and broadhurst spring but still jumping out of second on power , stripped down again and noticed the 1st gear is higher than the layshaft so in theory the gearbox shim is only touching the gear , this seems the wrong way round to me ? any ideas ???? :roll:
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

If you have it apart with the layshaft held tight in the hub bearing ,click the selector into 4th and fit the gear ,then into 3rd and fit that gear etc carefully checking all gears line up with the sliding dogs just to be sure the second gear is engaged fully .If the dog sits in the gear well, check the internal cut outs for squareness and all 4 dogs touch. The 1st gear should be higher than the layshaft.You could also check the engagement between the gears and cluster as the 2nd gear teeth on both may have a problem and is the casing bush a new one?
Rich_T
Dealer
Main scooter: Li Special

I hang my head in shame to know this from experience, your second gear is the wrong way round.
rocho68
Dealer

sorted !!!!!! , second gear wrong way round :bouncyeng:
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

:oops:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information