Cleaning the head, any advice please

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
mid life crisis

And so the questions start, J50 (well some one has to keep them alive) got it in bits, the barrel and head are shi**d up to say the least. Any sudjestions on cleaning right down the bottom of the fins, chopped down a tooth brush (not the best idea, you can still taste degreaser when you brush your teeth for days :flaming: ) But any ideas?????? :?
oldbiker

I find that a small piece of wood such as a splt dolly clothes peg (ask your mother about dolly pegs), can be used to scrape of any old carbon without scratching the head.

then it`s a little wet and dry with parafin
rog60
Main scooter: Indian GP200

To clean betwen the fins, I use a thin paint brush and spray on degreaser/hand cleanser, work in well and rinse off with warm soapy water....you may need to do this a few times if really manky. Allow to dry.
NO IT'S NOT A F***IN* MOPED!!!!!!
oldbiker

Sory mate, I did not read the post thoroughly.

Jetwash??

I did once leave a piston in a jacket pocket prior to a wash in the washing machine. It made a very worrying noise as it went round, clunk, clunk, thud. but it did come out very clean, not something that I would do deliberatly though
mid life crisis

oldbiker wrote:Sory mate, I did not read the post thoroughly.

Jetwash??

I did once leave a piston in a jacket pocket prior to a wash in the washing machine. It made a very worrying noise as it went round, clunk, clunk, thud. but it did come out very clean, not something that I would do deliberatly though
Think if i put the barrel and head in the washing machine, the mrs may just put me in (no realy she's violent)lol. Sorry to say i am old enough to remember dolly pegs :(

Thanks for the advice, i will try them
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

To clean between fins use a very thin terminal screwdriver to flick out the crud that has built up. Have a good torch/strong lamp handy so you can see clearly how its coming up. Also the back of a hacksaw blade to scrape off the cack. Inside the head, leave it soaking in carb cleaner/white spirit with the plug in for a day or two.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
mid life crisis

dapper wrote:To clean between fins use a very thin terminal screwdriver to flick out the crud that has built up. Have a good torch/strong lamp handy so you can see clearly how its coming up. Also the back of a hacksaw blade to scrape off the cack. Inside the head, leave it soaking in carb cleaner/white spirit with the plug in for a day or two.

Seems like a good bit of advice, i shall try this and post the results, in a few days time :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information